Finding Displacement on a Velocity Time Graph

In summary, the guy needs some help with a physics question and was struggling with a nonlinear graph.
JDK
Hello all,

I'm pretty well a newbie to physics and need a little help. It has to do with velocity time graphs. Here is the question I am having trouble with...

Time (s) Velocity (m/s)
0.0 0.0
1.0 5.0
2.0 4.0
3.0 10.0
4.0 15.0
5.0 18.0
6.0 20.0
7.0 22.0
8.0 25.0

a) Plot a velocity time graph

<-- this was simple. I had no problems with this component. Time on the x-axis and velocity on the y-axis. Plot the ordered pairs. Draw straight lines connecting the points.

b) Determine the distance the car travels during the first 2.0 s

<-- Here's where I had problems. In the book I am using ... (Merril Physics: Principles and Problems)... its examples only include graphs which are linear and none which produce scattered plots. (or at least from what reading was assigned for this worksheet)If anyone would be so kind to explain to me how to do this type of question with non-linear graphs I'd be grateful. I've been somewhat frustrated with it of late. I know I have to find the area of the space under the curve within the specific time interval but from this graph, 0-2s creates a shape which is not a triangle or rectangle... or any shape which i know has a formula for area.

Please help. Thanks so much.

:smile:

- The Guy Who Needs Some Help In Physics

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd normally inetgrate the function within the limits to find the area under a graph. The problem here though is that you don't have the equation of the line and the accelration isn't even constant.

The best approacgh to this problem would probably be to divide the area under the line into strips and treat each strip as a rectangle and work it out by adding htere areas.

Actually, perhaps the area under the limits you want is to small to divide up, if that's the case you could use a line of best fit.

What the values you give:
Time (s) Velocity (m/s)
0.0 0.0
1.0 5.0
2.0 4.0

do make is a triangle and a trapezoid. The line from (0,0) to (1, 5) forms a triangle with the lines y=0 and x= 1. You can easily find its area. The line from (1,5) to (2, 4), together with the lines y= 0, x= 1 and x= 2, forms a trapezoid. The two lines x= 1 and x= 2 are parallel and, so, are the bases- they have lengths 5 and 4 so the "average base" is 9/2. The height is the distance from x= 1 to x= 2: that's 1. The area of the trapezoid is (9/2)(1)= 9/2. Now add that to the area of the triangle to find the total area- the distance traveled.

Thanks so much for your help jcsd and HallsofIvy. I was considering doing it the way you described but thought I was wrong. Guess sometimes I should at least try my intial thoughts out. Thanks again.

1. What is displacement on a velocity-time graph?

Displacement on a velocity-time graph is the change in position of an object over a certain amount of time. It is represented by the area under the velocity-time curve.

2. How do you find displacement on a velocity-time graph?

To find displacement on a velocity-time graph, you need to calculate the area under the curve. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller shapes, such as rectangles or triangles, and finding the area of each shape. Then, add up the areas of all the shapes to get the total displacement.

3. What units are used for displacement?

Displacement is typically measured in meters (m) in the metric system and feet (ft) in the imperial system. It is a measurement of distance, so it has the same unit as distance.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph. For example, if the velocity-time graph shows the object moving forward with a positive velocity, a negative displacement would indicate that the object has moved backwards.

5. How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance between the initial and final position of an object, regardless of the path taken. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that measures the total path traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account both the magnitude and direction of movement, while distance only considers the magnitude.