Virus? Computer with Windows ME Issues

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Virus
In summary, a computer virus is a type of malicious software that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. It can infect a computer through various means, such as downloading infected files, clicking on malicious links, or through vulnerabilities in the operating system. Common symptoms of a computer virus include slow performance, frequent crashes, and changes in browser settings. To protect your computer from viruses, it is important to install antivirus software, regularly back up your files, and be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links from unknown sources. To remove a computer virus, it is best to use a trusted antivirus software or seek professional help if needed.
z4955
I have a computer with windows ME which was working fine then suddenly the appearance changed on the screen (looks like it's in safe mode but isn't) the norton antivirus program disappeared and it knocks the phone line out when it connects. some other programs have also disappeared. :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
oh and the sound also quit working

It is possible that your computer may have been infected with a virus or malware. The sudden change in appearance and disappearance of programs could be a sign of malicious activity. It is also concerning that your Norton antivirus program is no longer present and that your phone line is affected when connecting.

I recommend running a full system scan with a reputable antivirus software as soon as possible. If the scan detects any viruses or malware, make sure to follow the recommended actions to remove them. It may also be a good idea to update your operating system and any other software on your computer to ensure it is protected against known vulnerabilities.

If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek assistance from a professional computer technician to thoroughly clean and restore your system. In the future, it is important to regularly update your antivirus software and be cautious when downloading or opening files from unknown sources to prevent similar issues from occurring.

1. What is a computer virus?

A computer virus is a type of malicious software that can replicate itself and spread from one computer to another. It is designed to disrupt normal computer operations, steal information, or cause other harmful effects.

2. How does a computer virus infect a computer?

A computer virus can infect a computer through various means, such as downloading infected files or attachments, clicking on malicious links, or through vulnerabilities in the operating system. It can also be spread through infected external devices, such as USB drives.

3. What are the common symptoms of a computer virus?

The common symptoms of a computer virus include slow performance, frequent crashes, pop-up ads, changes in browser settings, and unusual error messages. It may also cause files to be deleted, modified, or encrypted without the user's knowledge.

4. How can I protect my computer from viruses?

To protect your computer from viruses, you should install a reputable antivirus software and keep it updated. It is also important to regularly back up your files and avoid downloading files from unknown or suspicious sources. Additionally, be cautious when clicking on links or opening attachments from unfamiliar senders.

5. How can I remove a computer virus?

The best way to remove a computer virus is by using a trusted antivirus software. You can also try running a full system scan and removing any suspicious files or programs. If the virus is particularly stubborn, you may need to seek professional help or reinstall your operating system.