Understanding Sin 5Pi/12 and Converting to Degrees: Tips and Tricks"

• Thread starter powp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact value of sin 5Pi/12 and different methods for approaching the problem. These include using addition and subtraction formulas, knowing exact values and identities, and using the half angle identity. The final answer for sin 5Pi/12 is (SQRT(6) + SQRT(2)) /4.
powp
Hello All

I have this question that I have to find the exact value of sin 5Pi/12. How do I figure out what this is in degrees? Or how do I break this down so I can use addition or subtraction foumulas?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How do I figure out what this is in degrees?
How to figure out what 5pi/12 is in degrees? Are you learning from a textbook or teacher, or are you learning on your own? I have to assume that you know how to answer this question. What do you know so far about radians?

sin(10pi/12) = 2sin(5pi/12)cos(5pi/12) = 2sin(5p/12)SQRT[1 - sin(5pi/12)]

sin(10pi/12)/2 = sin(5p/12)SQRT[1 - sin(5pi/12)]

0.5/2 = sin(5p/12)SQRT[1 - sin(5pi/12)]

You should know that sin(10pi/12) = sin(5pi/6) = sin(pi/6) = 0.5

1/16 = sin²(5p/12) - sin³(5pi/12)

16x³ - 16x² + 1 = 0, where x = sin(5pi/12)

There's a way to factor cubics, but I don't remember it. However, if you look it up on the internet, or even search these forums, you can easily find a method. Once you've factored it, the roots of the equation will naturally be your answer. Note that you might get up to 3 roots, but should only get one that is in [0, 0.5]. Can you tell why the root in that interval will be your answer?

powp said:
Hello All

I have this question that I have to find the exact value of sin 5Pi/12. How do I figure out what this is in degrees? Or how do I break this down so I can use addition or subtraction foumulas?

Thanks
5pi/12=75 degrees
pi=180 degrees
What exact values do you know? What identities do you know? The standard exact values to know are pi/10 and pi/12 if you knew them and multiples you would know 5pi/12. you could use the half angle identity to write sin(5pi/12) in terms of cos(5pi/6). You can learn the values for pi/6 and pi/3 by noting pi/3+pi/6=pi/2 and sin(pi/2)=1 cos(pi/2)=0. Also 5pi/6=pi-pi/6. Also don't try to factor a cubic, it would work, but it is difficult and unnecisary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses

I am going to use pi/4 and pi/6 and plug it into SIN(pi/4 + pi/6). This should give me the exatct value. The answer I get is (SQRT(6) + SQRT(2)) /4

Is this correct?

powp said:
Thanks for the responses

I am going to use pi/4 and pi/6 and plug it into SIN(pi/4 + pi/6). This should give me the exatct value. The answer I get is (SQRT(6) + SQRT(2)) /4

Is this correct?
that is right

Thanks. My problem is thinking which combnations would add up to 5pi/12

How do you figure out the best research method?

The best research method depends on the specific research question and goals of the study. Some common methods include experiments, surveys, and observations. It is important to carefully consider the strengths and limitations of each method before deciding which one to use.

How do you figure out if your results are statistically significant?

Statistical significance is determined by calculating the probability that the observed results are due to chance. This is typically done by performing a statistical test, such as a t-test or ANOVA. The results of the test can then be compared to a predetermined level of significance, usually set at p < 0.05, to determine if the results are statistically significant.

How do you figure out the validity and reliability of your data?

Validity refers to the accuracy and truthfulness of the data, while reliability refers to the consistency and stability of the data. To determine validity, researchers can use methods such as triangulation, where multiple sources of data are used to confirm the findings. Reliability can be assessed by conducting a test-retest or inter-rater reliability study to ensure consistent results.

How do you figure out the best way to analyze your data?

The best way to analyze data depends on the type of data and the research question. For quantitative data, statistical analysis methods such as regression or correlation can be used. For qualitative data, thematic analysis or content analysis may be more appropriate. It is important to carefully consider the data and research question before choosing an analysis method.

How do you figure out the implications of your research?

The implications of research depend on the findings and how they relate to the larger body of knowledge in the field. Researchers can consider the practical and theoretical implications of their findings, as well as how they may impact future research or real-world applications. It is also important to consider any potential limitations of the study and how they may affect the implications.