Parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid

In summary, the author is trying to find a set of parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid. The hint is that he should review some trigonometric identities that involve differences of squares that equal 1. He eventually finds the equations, but has difficulty plotting them correctly. He gets help from his instructor, but is still having trouble with the domains.
Townsend
I need to find a set of parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid. The hint is that I should review some trigonometric identities that involve differences of squares that equal 1.

The equation is:
[tex]
\frac{y^2}{2}- \frac{x^2}{4} - \frac{z^2}{9} = 1
[/tex]

And what I have is

[tex]
y= \sqrt{2}*sec(t)*sec(s)
[/tex]
[tex]
x=2*tan(t)*sec(s)
[/tex]
[tex]
z=3*tan(s)
[/tex]

I am then suppose to write the maple code and send it to my instructor. The problem is that when I do the plot3d with those equations I get a strange looking thing that looks nothing like what a hyperbolic paraboloid should look like. I did the implicitplot3d for the equation to see what it should look like so I know I am way off.

Can anyone offer me any hints?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
My equations might be right but I have the wrong domain for s and t. This is the code
Code:
with(plots);

plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-4*Pi..4*Pi, s=-4*Pi..4*Pi);

And compare that with
Code:
restart; with(plots);

implicitplot3d(y^2/2-x^2/4-z^2/9=1, x=-10..10, y=-10..10, z=-10..10, grid=[20,20,20]);

bump...

Can anyone offer me any ideas?

Your equations are correct. And you're right about having a problem with your domains. The sec and tan functions both have multiple vertical asymptotes in the interval [itex][-4\pi,4\pi][/itex], so you'll have to do something about that.

Tom Mattson said:
The sec and tan functions both have multiple vertical asymptotes in the interval [itex][-4\pi,4\pi][/itex], so you'll have to do something about that.

Thanks Mr. Mattson

I finally got the graphs to look reasonable. You're right about the asymptotes being the problem of course. If I go from -Pi/4 to Pi/4 for both s and t, things look good. To get both sheets I used the following code

Code:
with(plots);  

surface1:=plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-P/4i..Pi/4, s=-Pi/4..Pi/4):  
surface1:=plot3d([2*tan(t)*sec(s), -sqrt(2)*sec(t)*sec(s), 3*tan(s)], t=-P/4i..Pi/4, s=-Pi/4..Pi/4):  
display(surface1, surface2);

But thanks again Tom...
:smile:

1. What is a hyperbolic paraboloid?

A hyperbolic paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a saddle or a Pringles chip. It is a type of quadric surface, meaning it can be represented by a second-degree equation in three variables.

2. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing curves or surfaces by using a set of equations that describe how the coordinates of points on the curve or surface vary with a parameter. In the case of a hyperbolic paraboloid, the parameter could represent the angle of rotation or the distance from the center.

3. How are parametric equations used to describe a hyperbolic paraboloid?

Parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid involve two parameters, u and v, and are typically written in the form of x(u,v), y(u,v), and z(u,v). These equations describe how the coordinates of points on the surface vary as the parameters change. By plugging in different values for u and v, we can plot points and create a visualization of the hyperbolic paraboloid.

4. What are the benefits of using parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid?

Parametric equations allow us to easily manipulate and visualize the hyperbolic paraboloid in three-dimensional space. They also provide a more efficient and concise way of representing the surface compared to its implicit equation. Additionally, parametric equations can be used to find important features of the hyperbolic paraboloid, such as its curvature and intersections with other surfaces.

5. How are parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid derived?

The parametric equations for a hyperbolic paraboloid are derived by considering the two families of lines that intersect to form the surface. These lines can be described by parametric equations, and by setting the equations equal to each other, we can find the equations for the surface itself. This process involves solving a system of equations and can be done using techniques such as substitution or elimination.