Limits without L'Hopitals rule

• Thread starter vbplaya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of (sin x - tan x)/x³ without using l'hopital's rule, and proving the existence of an open interval where the function is positive given a positive limit. Various approaches are suggested, including using trigonometric identities and Taylor expansions, and the concept of limits is explained.
vbplaya
how do i find lim x→0 (sin x - tan x)/x³ without using l'hopitals rule?

also, can someone explain this to me, because I don't understand it.
given that lim x→c f(x)=L >0. Prove that there exists an open interval (a,b) containing c such that f(x) > 0 for all x ≠ c in (a,b).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to Physics Forums. :smile:

I've moved this to our Homework section. Please post all homework-type questions here in the future. Also, please see the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825 at the top of this Forum.

I'll pause for you to read it. :biggrin:

OK, now that you've read the notice, what have you done on this problem?

for the first one, I've tried to simplify sin x - tan x, but that didn't seem to work out.. and I don't know what else to try.
and for the second one, I've got no clue where to start.

vbplaya said:
how do i find lim x→0 (sin x - tan x)/x³ without using l'hopitals rule?

also, can someone explain this to me, because I don't understand it.
given that lim x→c f(x)=L >0. Prove that there exists an open interval (a,b) containing c such that f(x) > 0 for all x ≠ c in (a,b).
Trig is your friend
[tex]\frac{\sin(x)-\tan(x)}{x^3}=-\frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ \left(\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}\right)^2 \ \frac{1}{2\cos(x)}[/tex]

for this
given that lim x→c f(x)=L >0. Prove that there exists an open interval (a,b) containing c such that f(x) > 0 for all x ≠ c in (a,b)
The existence of a limit tells us something about a certain open interval
What is it?

Use the Taylor expansions of the trig functions around 0

[tex] \sin x\simeq x-\frac{x^{3}}{3!} [/tex]

[tex] \tan x\simeq x+\frac{x^{3}}{3} [/tex]

It should come up to [itex] -\frac{1}{2} [/itex].

Daniel.

lurflurf said:
Trig is your friend
[tex]\frac{\sin(x)-\tan(x)}{x^3}=-\frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ \left(\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}\right)^2 \ \frac{1}{2\cos(x)}[/tex]

i'm sorry, but i don't how u get from [tex]\frac{\sin(x)-\tan(x)}{x^3}[/tex] to [tex]-\frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ \left(\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}\right)^2 \ \frac{1}{2\cos(x)}[/tex]

also for lim x→c f(x)= L >0. prove that there exists and open interal (a,b) containing c such that f(x)>0 for all x ≠ c in (a,b)

do I just pick out numbers and plug them in? because I don't know what else to do.

vbplaya said:
also for lim x→c f(x)= L >0. prove that there exists and open interal (a,b) containing c such that f(x)>0 for all x ≠ c in (a,b)

do I just pick out numbers and plug them in? because I don't know what else to do.
If the limit exist then for any h>0 there exist an open interval such that
|f(x)-L|<h for all x in the open interval
in particular if L>0 then there exist an open interval such that
|f(x)-L|<L for all x in the open interval
or equivalently
0<f(x)<2L so that
0<f(x) on some open interval

vbplaya said:
i'm sorry, but i don't how u get from [tex]\frac{\sin(x)-\tan(x)}{x^3}[/tex] to [tex]-\frac{\sin(x)}{x} \ \left(\frac{\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}{\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)}\right)^2 \ \frac{1}{2\cos(x)}[/tex]
use
sin(x)-tan(x)=sin(x)(cos(x)-1)/cos(x)
cos(x)-1=cos(x)-cos(0)=-2sin((x+0)/2)sin((x-0)/2)=-2(sin(x/2))^2

1. What is the concept of limits without L'Hopital's rule?

Limits without L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the value of a limit of a function without using the L'Hopital's rule, which is a commonly used technique for evaluating limits in calculus.

2. When should I use limits without L'Hopital's rule?

Limits without L'Hopital's rule is typically used when the given function is not in an indeterminate form, or when the use of L'Hopital's rule leads to a more complicated solution.

3. How can I evaluate limits without L'Hopital's rule?

To evaluate limits without L'Hopital's rule, you can use algebraic manipulation, factoring, or other limit theorems such as the Squeeze theorem or the Sandwich theorem.

4. What are the advantages of using limits without L'Hopital's rule?

One advantage of using limits without L'Hopital's rule is that it can provide a more straightforward and less complicated solution compared to using L'Hopital's rule. Additionally, it can be used to evaluate limits of functions that are not differentiable.

5. Are there any limitations to using limits without L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to using limits without L'Hopital's rule. It may not work for all functions, and the process of evaluating limits without L'Hopital's rule may be more time-consuming compared to using L'Hopital's rule in certain cases.