Why don't untapped maple trees explode?

In summary, the teacher played an audio file about untapped maple trees exploding, but after it was over, she told us it was an April Fool's prank. However, I am curious to know. I suggest you read Brian Aldiss' brilliant Helliconia trilogy.
JWest
In my food and culture/biology class, our teacher played an audio file about untapped maple trees exploding, but after it was over, she told us it was an April Fool's prank. However, I am curious to know. Why don't untapped maple trees explode?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would your reasoning be why they should? Otherwise I don't even know where to begin to answer this question.

LOL...

I think tapping a maple tree is sort of like drawing blood from a person.

I give blood regularly, but my husband doesn't, and so far he hasn't exploded.

is this even the right place ask this kind of question.

Yes. Plants have biology too.

JWest said:
In my food and culture/biology class, our teacher played an audio file about untapped maple trees exploding, but after it was over, she told us it was an April Fool's prank. However, I am curious to know. Why don't untapped maple trees explode?
I suggest you read Brian Aldiss' brilliant Helliconia trilogy.
You'll be in for a real treat..:wink:

Why don't untapped maple trees explode?
An inquisitive mind is a good thing. That is an important quality to study science. I've been asked a similar question about mosquitos. If you let one bite your arm and they take a drink, if you tighten your arm and increase the pressure in your blood vessels, will the mosquito explode?

Let's tackle your question.. It seems you are wondering about the pressure of the maple sap that flows in the springtime. The sap flows in the xylem (also called sapwood) and in early spring, it is due to root pressure. Because there are more solutes inside the roots compared with outside the roots, by osmosis water external to the roots, will be drawn in and rise up through the xylem. Later in the season, the leaves unfurl and transpiration (vapor transfer via the stomata) cause a negative pressure in the xylem and draws the sap up into the tree. Angiosperms (of which maple is a member) appeared on Earth about 100 million years ago ref. They have evolved this nice method of drawing nutrients up into the tree where they are needed. To my knowledge, none have been observed to explode from the pressure of the sap. The reason is that the pressure is too low compared with the restraining forces of the vessel (wood in the tree).

Root pressure in trees can range from 0.1 to 0.6 MPa http://courses.forestry.ubc.ca/frst200/lectures/Water%20Relations.pdf (0.1MPa = 1 atmosphere pressure, or the amount of pressure our own atmosphere exerts at sea level).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
An inquisitive mind is a good thing. That is an important quality to study science. I've been asked a similar question about mosquitos. If you let one bite your arm and they take a drink, if you tighten your arm and increase the pressure in your blood vessels, will the mosquito explode?

Let's tackle your question.. It seems you are wondering about the pressure of the maple sap that flows in the springtime. The sap flows in the xylem (also called sapwood) and in early spring, it is due to root pressure. Because there are more solutes inside the roots compared with outside the roots, by osmosis water external to the roots, will be drawn in and rise up through the xylem. Later in the season, the leaves unfurl and transpiration (vapor transfer via the stomata) cause a negative pressure in the xylem and draws the sap up into the tree. Angiosperms (of which maple is a member) appeared on Earth about 100 million years ago ref. They have evolved this nice method of drawing nutrients up into the tree where they are needed. To my knowledge, none have been observed to explode from the pressure of the sap. The reason is that the pressure is too low compared with the restraining forces of the vessel (wood in the tree).
Great, except that you collect sap (maple water) in the fall ...

Practically, you should not tap a tree smaller than a particular size, and not more than with one sugar-water spigot...

How would any of the above change the answer, if at all?

Last edited:
pattylou said:
Great, except that you collect sap (maple water) in the fall ...
Hmmmmm:confused:

I've only seen taps on the sugar maple trees in early spring when the nights are cold and days are warm. Shortly thereafter, you can visit the sugar camps and watch them simmer the sap into syrup.

(Sidenote: you can tap any maple tree to make syrup, but the sugar maple's (Acer saccharum) sap, has the highest concentration of sugar (~ 2%)

You are right, small trees should not be tapped. Typically trees are tapped when their trunk diameter is minimum of 10 inches measured four feet above the ground http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD1067.html

Last edited:
Maybe my mom taught me wrong? She grew up in Australia, she may have had it backwards...

Google has me wrong and you right. I stand corrected.
:blushing:
I wonder if we killed a few trees in ignorance... I know we successfully tapped a few trees in the woods in the fall, but didn't pay attention to whether they grew well the next year.

thanks Oubache!

That's okay, as a Boilermaker you're talented with a creative thought process :biggrin:
Let's hear more about the maple syrup :tongue2:

Last edited:
Hey hows about tapping those Golden Birches in the Spring too, hear that they can make pretty good sap-syrup as well, run well too. (juicy)

Golden Birches? Are you referring to Betula ermanii? According to this http://www.med-for-you.com/404,64828963661234567890100505269211/herbs/b/Betula-ermanii.html , gold birch doesn't have any edible uses.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why don't untapped maple trees explode during the process of tapping?

Untapped maple trees do not explode during the process of tapping because the sap being collected is not under pressure. The sap is naturally flowing from the tree and is not being forced out, therefore there is no risk of the tree exploding.

2. Is there a risk of untapped maple trees exploding if they are left untapped for too long?

No, there is no risk of untapped maple trees exploding if they are left untapped for too long. Maple trees do not accumulate pressure like other plants, so there is no buildup of pressure that could cause an explosion.

3. Can tapping too many maple trees at once cause them to explode?

No, tapping too many maple trees at once does not cause them to explode. As mentioned earlier, maple trees do not accumulate pressure and the process of tapping does not create any pressure either. Therefore, there is no risk of them exploding due to being tapped in large numbers.

4. Are there any circumstances in which an untapped maple tree may explode?

No, there are no known circumstances in which an untapped maple tree may explode. As long as the tree is healthy and not damaged in any way, there is no risk of it exploding due to the process of tapping.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when tapping maple trees?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be taken when tapping maple trees. These include wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, using proper tools and techniques for tapping, and being aware of potential hazards such as falling branches or slippery surfaces.