How To Calculate Position Two Magnets Will Attract And Lock

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of equations or a branch of study to determine the positions in which two or more sphere magnets will attract and lock together. The concept of opposites attracting is also mentioned. The use of Maxwell's equations is suggested as a way to solve this problem, and the potential for more complex relationships between multiple magnets is brought up. A link to a relevant article is also provided.
Frank Misa
Hi All,

Do equations (or branch of study) exist for the following problem:

I have two (or more sphere magnets); can it be determined mathematically/classical-physics-equations what positions these two magnets will attract each other in and lock ?

In other words - these two sphere magnets have North/South poles. If I allow these two magnets to freely attract each other and lock - will the angle formed by lines running through their poles be predictable/deterministic ?

Hope this is a no brainer for someone out there...
I'd appreciate any links/urls/key-words that I could use for further self-study on this topic...

Hope to hear from someone...

Cheers
Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that by 'lock' you mean touch?

if so I would think so, and it would be through applying maxwells equations. though since it has been well over 7 years since the last time i did that type of calculation i will have to look it up.

Thanks for your help

Hi...
Thanks very much Josh...

Yes - by locking I mean position they come to rest when touching.

Re: Maxwell's equations...that's exactly the help/direction I was looking for. A link to an example/sample solution discussing this problem would be very helpful - I'd be grateful if you could forwarded me a link/reference.

Now that I think about it - the 2-sphere magnet case will always be a staight line (180degrees) with the two sphere magnets always lining up end-to-end... with point of contact at opposite poles: N/S or S/N ? Right... opposites attract.

But what if 3 or more sphere magnets are involved; can the same equations be used to determine their relationship to each other when the group is allowed to combine... OR again will the solutions be trivial ? either a straight line with poles end to end - or some kind of tendency to form cube forms...or will the relationships be more complex ?

Which I had a box of sphere magnets I could try out ;)

Any thoughts...
Thanks very much...
Cheers
Frank
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

you know on my cab ride back to the hotel (on a business trip at the moment) I realized the same thing about the two spherical magnets problem. again by geometry I would assume that the three manet would form into some kind of triangular arrangement...

as to equations to determne this i still have yet to look it up...again I need to sit down with an E&M book, which I do nothave with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the force of attraction between two magnets?

The force of attraction between two magnets can be calculated using the formula F = (m1 * m2) / r^2, where m1 and m2 are the magnitudes of the two magnets' poles and r is the distance between them.

2. What factors affect the strength of the attraction between two magnets?

The strength of attraction between two magnets is affected by the strength of their poles, the distance between them, and the orientation of their poles (north to south poles attract, while north to north or south to south poles repel).

3. How can I determine the orientation of the poles of a magnet?

The poles of a magnet can be determined by using a compass. The end of the magnet that points towards the Earth's North Pole is the magnet's North pole, and the end that points towards the Earth's South Pole is the magnet's South pole.

4. What is the difference between magnetic force and gravitational force?

Magnetic force is the attraction or repulsion between two magnets, while gravitational force is the attraction between any two objects with mass. While both forces follow an inverse square law, magnetic force is much stronger than gravitational force at a small distance.

5. Can the force of attraction between two magnets be measured?

Yes, the force of attraction between two magnets can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device uses a balance to measure the force between two magnets and can provide a numerical value for the force of attraction.