Theoretical physicist? mathematician? mathematical physicist?

In summary, the person is a first year physics student who is unsure if they want to pursue a career in mathematics or physics. They are currently more interested in math, but are unsure if that will change once they start learning about quantum physics. They are also concerned about the practical applications of math in physics and whether physics was the right choice for them. Other students and a forum thread suggest that theoretical physics involves a deeper understanding and application of math, but it ultimately depends on the individual to make a decision on switching majors. Another person shares their experience of initially being more interested in math, but finding a love for quantum physics and deciding to double major in math and physics. The suggestion is to wait until taking quantum physics before making a decision.
hellbike
i'm on first year of physics studies, but i got a little dilemma - do i want to be a mathematician, or phycist?
I'm thinking about being theoretical physicist - but at the moment - math is much much more interesting to me than physics. I think that may change when i'll start to learn about quantum physics - but I'm not certain about that.

What if that won't happend? Will i be able to go for Master degree in mathematics(after bachelor's in physics)?

What concerns me - all physicist from my university care about, for example, where they can use some piece of math - they treat it as a tool. What i care about is why some piece of math is the way it is.
Even my calculus lecturet told me, that as a physicist, i shouldn't care about all that stuff, because it's kind of useless for me.

And that raise doubts - was physics right choise?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's too early to tell. I had the same enthusiasm for the mathematical background you describe, but I lost that interest to some degree over the years. The level of rigor and abstraction can be quite "extreme" in the advanced mathematical subjects, which in my opinion goes a bit too far.

Having said that, mathematics in Theoretical physics goes a lot further than applying simple mathematical tools. In a lot of cases you really need to understand the "why" and "how" of certain mathematical structures in order to better understand and appreciate their physical consequences. Yes, there is plenty of math to learn in theoretical physics, especially in mathematical physics.

What you also see is that some mathematicians get interested in theoretical and mathematical physics since it puts their subject into a new context. A lot of math developed in the 20th century find their origin in a physical context.

I think, as a potential theoretical physicist, it's very natural to be interested in the rigor behind the math you come across, especially in the first few years. But in the end it's up to you to make a decision if you want to switch.

well basically I was in the same dilemma last year when I was a freshman..
Similarly to you, the mechanics or EM are pretty boring sometimes even annoying to me,
so I take intermediate QM this semester(griffiths) and find out it's REALLY FUN, especially when you are good at math.(linear algebra etc.)
now I decide to have a double major in physics and math, because I enjoy them both.

so my suggestion is, as you said, wait until you take quantum physics and then decide.

1. What is the difference between a theoretical physicist, mathematician, and mathematical physicist?

A theoretical physicist is a scientist who uses mathematical models and theories to explain and predict physical phenomena. A mathematician is a scientist who studies and develops mathematical theories and concepts. A mathematical physicist is someone who combines the principles of both physics and mathematics to understand the laws of the universe.

2. What kind of education is required to become a theoretical physicist, mathematician, or mathematical physicist?

Typically, a PhD in physics or mathematics is required to become a theoretical physicist, mathematician, or mathematical physicist. However, some individuals may also have a dual degree in both physics and mathematics.

3. What is the typical job description for a theoretical physicist, mathematician, or mathematical physicist?

The job description for these roles can vary, but generally, theoretical physicists work in research and development, mathematicians work in academia or research, and mathematical physicists work in a variety of fields, including engineering, finance, and science.

4. What are some of the key skills needed to excel as a theoretical physicist, mathematician, or mathematical physicist?

Some key skills for these roles include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking skills, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

5. How does a theoretical physicist, mathematician, or mathematical physicist contribute to advancements in science and technology?

These scientists play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the universe and developing new technologies. They contribute to groundbreaking research and discoveries in fields such as quantum mechanics, astrophysics, and computer science, which have a direct impact on various industries and technologies.