Road Safety Calculus: Calculating Safe Distances

In summary, the pedestrian requires a safe distance of 224.5 meters from the car before they can safely cross the road.
thebest99
Hi I am starting as a highway engineer. My work college has given me this to try any help woul dbe great.

A pedestrian requires to cross a two-way carriageway which is 9 metres wide to
access a railway station. Given that the road is subject to a 30mph speed limit,
wherein the V85% speed exceeds the limit by 24% and the pedestrian has good
physical and cognitive skills, calculate the maximum distance away from the crossingpoint that an approaching vehicle will need to be in order for the pedestrian to safely
complete the crossing movement. Present your methodology and the calculations
you used to determine your answer.

Calculating Safe Distances: s =u.t + ½ a.t²

v2 – u

s = v.t + s = -------------
2.µ.g

Physics news on Phys.org
hi thebest99! :wink:
thebest99 said:
A pedestrian requires to cross a two-way carriageway which is 9 metres wide to access a railway station. Given that the road is subject to a 30mph speed limit, wherein the V85% speed exceeds the limit by 24% and the pedestrian has good physical and cognitive skills, calculate the maximum distance away from the crossingpoint that an approaching vehicle will need to be in order for the pedestrian to safely complete the crossing movement. Present your methodology and the calculations you used to determine your answer.

first, present your methodology :smile:

What i have worked out :

85th speed exceeds the limit by 24% = 37.mph.

travels at 16.63 m/s

average driver reaction time 1.5 seconds

16.63 x 9 = 149.67 m/s x 1.5 = 224.5

am i on the right wave lengths here, thanks for any help

thebest99 said:
travels at 16.63 m/s

average driver reaction time 1.5 seconds

16.63 x 9

no, you've multiplied the car's speed by the pedestrian's distance

speed times distance wouldn't give you anything anyway (the result would be in metres-squared per second!)

find the time it takes the pedestrian to cross, and then how far away the car must be not to reach the crossing in that time :wink:

There seems to be some information missing.
First, it's not clear whether the pedestrian is supposed to be getting across without the driver having to brake. If so, we need to know the pedestrian's speed. Conversely, we don't care about deceleration or thinking time.
If this is a pedestrian crossing, so the driver is supposed to stop, we need to know the car's deceleration, but we don't care about the width of the crossing.
Btw, it should be asking for the minimum distance, not the maximum. There is no upper limit.

1. What is Road Safety Calculus?

Road Safety Calculus is a mathematical method used to calculate safe distances for driving. It takes into account factors such as speed, reaction time, and braking distance to determine the minimum safe distance a driver should maintain between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them.

2. How is Road Safety Calculus calculated?

Road Safety Calculus is calculated by using a formula that takes into account the speed of the vehicle, the driver's reaction time, and the vehicle's braking distance. The formula is: Safe Distance = (Speed/2) + (Speed * Reaction Time) + (Speed^2 / 2 * Braking Distance)

3. Why is Road Safety Calculus important?

Road Safety Calculus is important because it helps drivers maintain a safe distance between their vehicle and the vehicle in front of them. This can prevent accidents and reduce the risk of injury or death on the road.

4. Can Road Safety Calculus be used for all driving situations?

Road Safety Calculus is most commonly used for highway driving, but it can also be applied to other driving situations such as city driving or rural roads. However, it may not be as accurate in these situations due to variations in traffic flow and road conditions.

5. How can I use Road Safety Calculus in my daily driving?

While you may not need to calculate safe distances constantly, it is important to be aware of the factors that contribute to safe driving distances. This can help you make better decisions while driving and maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you. It is also helpful to practice safe driving habits such as maintaining a consistent speed and avoiding distractions while behind the wheel.