Dear Physics Forum: Calculus problem (Physical Chemistry)

In summary, the conversation was about the Randles-Sevcik equation used in cyclic voltammetry, which relates the peak current to the scan rate. The gradient of the graph of I against v was also discussed, and it was expressed as dI/dV = k/2√v, where k is a constant. The user also requested a step-by-step procedure for finding this gradient.
Luke Attigan

Homework Statement

In the electrochemists technique of cyclic voltammetry, the peak current, I, is a simple function of the scan rate, v, according to the Randles-Sevcik equation:

Homework Equations

I = 0.4463nFAc(nF / RT)^1/2 D^1/2 V^1/2

Where n is the number of electrons transferred, F is the Faraday constant, D is the diffusion coefficient, and C the concentration of analyte. Write an expression to describe the gradient of a graph of I (as "y") against v (as "x") ie. dI/dV

The Attempt at a Solution

As a chemist, my maths isn't particularly strong, but I tried to answer the problem as best as possible. I treated the equation posted above as I = k*v^1/2, where k is treated as a constant and the answer I got was dI/dV = 1 ÷ 2*√v (assuming that constants when differentiated become zero).

I would be delighted if a member could show me a thorough step by step procedure on how the answer should actually look if I'm incorrect in my logic.

I appreciate your time and concern,

Kindest Regards,

Luke.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You started out with ##I = k v^{\frac 1 2}## so$$
\frac{dI}{dv} =\frac k {2v^{\frac 1 2}}$$which is what I think you did. The constant just stays there as a multiple.

Thank you very much mate. I thought that was correct and as usual I've over complicated it more than required.

Appreciated fully.

L.

1. How do I approach a calculus problem in physical chemistry?

To approach a calculus problem in physical chemistry, it is important to first understand the concepts involved. This may include understanding the variables and equations used in the problem. Then, you can apply the appropriate calculus techniques, such as differentiation or integration, to solve the problem.

2. What are the most common applications of calculus in physical chemistry?

Calculus is used in various ways in physical chemistry, such as in rate laws, thermodynamics, and reaction kinetics. It is also used to analyze data and make predictions about chemical reactions and properties.

3. How can I improve my calculus skills for physical chemistry?

To improve your calculus skills for physical chemistry, it is important to practice regularly and work through various problem sets. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend study groups to gain a better understanding of the concepts and how to apply them.

4. Can you provide an example of a physical chemistry problem that involves calculus?

One example of a physical chemistry problem that involves calculus is finding the rate of change of a chemical reaction at a specific point in time. This would require using the techniques of differentiation to calculate the slope of the reaction rate curve.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems in physical chemistry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus problems in physical chemistry include not properly understanding the given variables and equations, not setting up the problem correctly, and not checking for units and significant figures in the final answer. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are clearly shown.