System of three, 2nd order diff. equations

In summary, the problem was that the person didn't know how to solve the system of equations and they needed help.
_alexis_
While trying to solve a problem in physics I got this system of 3, second order differential equations.
Solution should be equation for linear harmonic oscillator.

m[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]1+kη1-kη2=0
mn[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]2-kη1+2kη2-kη3=0
m[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]3-kη2+kη3=0

My attempts at the solution produced 6th order equation that I only manage to reduce to 4th order but after that I got completely lost.
Here is what I did if you wish to see: part1 part2

Physics news on Phys.org
You should know that the solution of a system of constant-coefficient linear equations is of the form ηi=Aieλt. In case of an oscillatory system , it is more convenient to use ηi=Aieiωt.

Substitute for the η-s and you get a third-order equation for the unknown ω2, and also relations between the coefficients Ai.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Thanks, though I already know the solution. I forgot to mention that in the first post.
The problem is I don't know how to come to that solution.
I want to solve it once so that I can have an idea how to come to that.

I would form a matrix. You should get a 3x1 on the left side equaled to a 3x3 times some constants that you need to solve for. Solve for the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

_alexis_ said:
Thanks, though I already know the solution. I forgot to mention that in the first post.
The problem is I don't know how to come to that solution.
I want to solve it once so that I can have an idea how to come to that.

All such equations are solved that way: replace the unknown functions with the exponential form. Performing the derivations, you can simplify the exponential factor and you get 3 homogeneous equations for the amplitudes. The system of homogeneous equations has non-trivial (not zero) solutions only if the determinant of the coefficients is equal to zero. That provides an equation for the eigenvalue ω2. (It is easy to solve in your problem.) Solve, and substitute the roots back into the system of equations. Solve for Ai for each eigenvalue. (One of the amplitudes is arbitrary in each case) These Ai-s, multiplied with the proper exponential factor, give the eigenvectors, or normal modes of the oscillatory system. The general solution is linear combination of these normal modes.

ehild

_alexis_ said:
While trying to solve a problem in physics I got this system of 3, second order differential equations.
Solution should be equation for linear harmonic oscillator.

m[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]1+kη1-kη2=0
mn[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]2-kη1+2kη2-kη3=0
m[itex]\ddot{η}[/itex]3-kη2+kη3=0

My attempts at the solution produced 6th order equation that I only manage to reduce to 4th order but after that I got completely lost.
Here is what I did if you wish to see: part1 part2
That's odd. Yes, reducing to a single function will give you a 6th order equation but since only even derivatives will occur, it should be easily reducible to a third order equation.

1. What is a system of three, 2nd order differential equations?

A system of three, 2nd order differential equations is a set of three equations that describe the behavior of a system over time. Each equation includes the second derivative of a variable, making it a 2nd order differential equation. This type of system is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model complex systems.

2. How do you solve a system of three, 2nd order differential equations?

Solving a system of three, 2nd order differential equations involves finding the values of the variables that satisfy all three equations. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or using matrices. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra in order to successfully solve these types of systems.

3. What are some real-world applications of a system of three, 2nd order differential equations?

A system of three, 2nd order differential equations has many real-world applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the dynamics of a chemical reaction, or predicting the behavior of a mechanical system. These equations are also commonly used in fields such as economics, biology, and ecology to study complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. How do you determine the stability of a system of three, 2nd order differential equations?

The stability of a system of three, 2nd order differential equations can be determined by analyzing the eigenvalues of the associated matrix. If all eigenvalues have negative real parts, the system is stable. If any eigenvalue has a positive real part, the system is unstable. This information can help predict the long-term behavior of the system.

5. Can a system of three, 2nd order differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of three, 2nd order differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because there are often multiple sets of values that can satisfy all three equations. These solutions may represent different behaviors or states of the system, and it is important to carefully analyze each solution to determine its significance in the context of the problem being studied.