Exponential distribution.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of λ for a random exponential variable representing the life expectancy of a light bulb. The question is whether λ should be equal to 0.01 or 100, given that the average life expectancy is 100 hours. The solution is that λ is equal to 1/expectation, which in this case is 0.01. There is no work involved in finding this solution and the individual is simply seeking clarification on the calculation.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

If the life expectancy of a light bulb is a random exponential variable and equal (on average) to 100 hrs, is λ then equal to 0.01 or to 100? (λ = 1/expectation)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,peripatein, you're supposed to show us your work. What have you done/tried so far?

There is no work involved. I wasn't asking for help to solve anything; this merely regards an uncertainty I have concerning λ. I am simply not sure whether it should be 1/100 or 100, given the above details. I am not really sure what work you are asking me to show.

You seem to have answered your own question: expectation = 100hrs, λ = 1/expectation.

1. What is the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process, where events occur continuously and independently at a constant average rate.

2. What is the formula for the exponential distribution?

The probability density function (PDF) for the exponential distribution is given by f(x) = λe^(-λx), where λ is the rate parameter and x is the random variable.

3. What are the characteristics of the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is characterized by its mean (1/λ), variance (1/λ^2), and standard deviation (1/λ). It is a continuous distribution with a range of [0, ∞), and its shape is skewed to the right.

4. How is the exponential distribution used in real life?

The exponential distribution is commonly used in reliability and survival analysis to model the time until failure of a component or the time until death of an organism. It is also used in queueing theory to model waiting times in systems with continuous arrivals.

5. What is the relationship between the exponential distribution and the Poisson distribution?

The exponential distribution is closely related to the Poisson distribution, as the time between events in a Poisson process follows an exponential distribution. This means that if the number of events in a given time period follows a Poisson distribution, the time between those events will follow an exponential distribution.