Potential Energy and Conservation of Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a pendulum consisting of a 4.0 kg stone swinging on a 3.2 m string. The stone has a speed of 7.7 m/s at its lowest point and the questions involve determining the speed at a 62° angle, the greatest angle the string will reach, and the total mechanical energy of the system. The solution involves using the equations for kinetic and potential energy, finding the height change at 62°, and solving for the speed and angle. The total mechanical energy is equal to the initial kinetic energy.
ChazyChazLive

Homework Statement

A pendulum consists of a 4.0 kg stone swinging on a 3.2 m string of negligible mass. The stone has a speed of 7.7 m/s when it passes its lowest point.

Homework Equations

(a) What is the speed when the string is at 62° to the vertical?
(b) What is the greatest angle with the vertical that the string will reach during the stone's motion?
(c) If the potential energy of the pendulum-Earth system is taken to be zero at the stone's lowest point, what is the total mechanical energy of the system?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm all confused >.< I figured there wold be max KE in the middle. Then there would be some KE & PE at the 62 degree part.. but idn what to do.. ugh I tried Ei = Ef so then Ei = .5mv2 but what would Ef be... idn.. i was thinking about centripetal force... idn I'm hopeless >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
ME [Mechanical Energy] = KE [Kinetic Energy] + PE [Potential Energy]
At the stone's lowest point you could take the PE to be 0J (since it could be taken as the reference level); the KE at that point would then be the total mechanical energy of the system. At 62deg to the vertical, find the height above the reference level to solve for the PE. The difference between the ME and PE at that point is the KE. Then solve for the speed. The greatest angle would occur at the height where KE = 0.

hmm...
okie...
I was thinking of finding the height change, but I confuse myself sometimes. I couldn't figure out how to get it. So, you're supposed to do 3.2cos(62) = 1.502
And then do 3.2 - 1.502 = 1.698 which will equal the height change...
So now..
E (which equals the KE initial) = KE + PE
so plug in numbers 118.58 = (.5)(4)v^2 + (4)(9.8)(1.698)
v = 5.10 m/s

ooh yay! tehehe gots it!

and then basically work backwards for the angle
so E = mgh

and then for C.. it's just the E we've been working with

thankyou very much! ^_^ highly appreciated XD

Last edited:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is a form of energy that is associated with an object's position or state. It is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system, and it has the potential to be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above the ground. This formula applies to objects in a gravitational field, such as on Earth.

3. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

4. How does the conservation of energy apply to potential energy?

In a system where only conservative forces act, such as gravity, the total energy (potential + kinetic) remains constant. This means that as an object loses potential energy (e.g. by falling), it gains an equal amount of kinetic energy. The total energy of the system remains the same.

5. How is the conservation of energy useful in solving problems involving potential energy?

The conservation of energy is a powerful tool for solving problems involving potential energy because it allows us to equate the initial and final energy states of a system. This means that we can use the law of conservation of energy to find an unknown value, such as the height an object will reach after falling from a certain initial height, without needing to know the specific details of the object's motion.