Uncovering the Connection Between Rings and Involutions: A Homomorphism Puzzle

• Thread starter Mechmathian
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to find two rings (R, S) with involutions (*, ^) such that the unitary groups U(R, *) and U(S, ^) are isomorphic as groups, but R and S are not isomorphic as rings. One possible example is the ring of polynomials with complex coefficients \mathbb{C}[z] with conjugation as the involution, and the unitary group being all complex numbers with absolute value 1. Another example could be matrices of size 2*2 with elements 0 and 1, with transposition as the involution and the unitary group being +1 and -1.
Mechmathian
Someone, please help me solve this problem:

First if R is a ring and * is an involution, then U(R, *):= {x \in R|x* · x = 1}

(an involution * is an antihomomorphism such that a** = a for any a)

Now the problem. Find two rings (R, S) with involutions (*, ^) such that U(R, *) is homomorphic to (S, ^). and R and S are not homomorphic.

My first problem is that i do not know of any involutions except for conjugation and transposition for matrixes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you want to find an example where U(R,*) and U(S,^) are isomorphic (as groups), while R and S aren't isomorphic (as rings). Correct?

Maybe this example of a *-ring will help you: The ring of polynomials with complex coefficients [itex]\mathbb{C}[z][/itex] (viewed as functions on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]), with [itex]p(z)^* = \overline{p(\bar{z})}[/itex], where the bar denotes complex conjugation. What's the unitary group of ([itex]\mathbb{C}[z][/itex],*)?

Last edited:
Thank you for another example. The unitary group would be all the complex numbers a: |a|= 1.
I have also thought of Examples with the unitary groups isomprphis to Z\2 and Z\4, but didn't help to solve he problem...

You are correct on the remark, the first isomorphism is an isomorphism of miltiplicative groups.

Actually, now that I think about it: an example would be complex numbers (with conjugation = *) and polynomials. Their unitary groups are the same while they are not homomorphic as rings! I hope I'm right! Thanks again for the example!

By the way the unitary group is +1 and -1 (not what i have said before, because it is true iff there was only one conjugation over the argument)and it is also isomorphic to Z2.. I guess that is another example along with matrices 2*2 (with elements = 0, 1) with * = transposition.

Why isn't U(C[z],*) identifiable with the set of complex numbers with absolute value 1 (i.e. the unit circle)? I actually agree with what you said in post #4; that's the example I had in mind.

yeah, what i said later isn't true, sorry

1. What are *-rings and involution?

*-rings and involution are mathematical structures used in abstract algebra. A *-ring is a ring with an additional operation called involution, which is a generalized notion of complex conjugation. Involution is a function that maps each element in the ring to its conjugate, satisfying certain properties.

2. What are some examples of *-rings and involution?

One example of a *-ring with involution is the ring of square matrices with complex entries. The involution operation is the conjugate transpose of the matrix. Another example is the ring of quaternions, where the involution operation is the conjugate of the quaternion.

3. What are the properties of involution in *-rings?

The properties of involution in *-rings include: (1) (a*b)* = b*a* for all elements a and b in the ring, (2) (a*)* = a for all elements a in the ring, and (3) (a+b)* = a* + b* for all elements a and b in the ring.

4. What is the relationship between *-rings and involution?

The presence of the involution operation in a *-ring allows for additional structure and properties to be studied. For example, the study of *-rings with involution can provide insights into symmetry and duality in mathematics.

5. What are some applications of *-rings and involution?

*-rings and involution have applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. In physics, *-rings with involution are used to describe symmetries in quantum mechanics. In computer science, they are used in coding theory for error correction. In cryptography, they are used in encryption algorithms for secure communication.