Introductory EE textbooks

In summary, the person is looking for introductory EE textbooks to explore the field before entering college. They have a strong background in Physics and Math and are looking for recommendations. Some suggested textbooks include "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, "Malvino Electronics Principles", "Signals and Systems: Continuous and Discrete" by Ziemer, Tranter, and Fannin, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Alexander and Sadiku, and "Field and Wave" by David K Cheng. The person also mentions studying "Griffiths Introduction to ElectroDynamics" and suggests that it may be too difficult for an engineering student with a strong background in Physics. They also recommend studying PDE if the person
Acut
Hi!

I'll enter college next year, and I plan to major in Electrical Engineering. I'm looking for introductory EE textbooks to test the waters a little bit and decide if this is really the field I want to go to.

I have a strong background in Physics and Math: I've studied Electricity and Magnetism up to Maxwell's Equations (currently, I'm reading Griffith's book to refresh my memory) and I've studied Calculus up to differential equations.

What textbooks would you recommend?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Acut said:
Hi!

I'll enter college next year, and I plan to major in Electrical Engineering. I'm looking for introductory EE textbooks to test the waters a little bit and decide if this is really the field I want to go to.

I have a strong background in Physics and Math: I've studied Electricity and Magnetism up to Maxwell's Equations (currently, I'm reading Griffith's book to refresh my memory) and I've studied Calculus up to differential equations.

What textbooks would you recommend?

Sounds like you have a great background coming out of high school. Kudos on that.

I like "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you have a university library nearby, you could skim through it to see if you like it. It may be too basic for you, or it may be a good read. It is used in some intro EE courses (or at least it used to be).

This is not so introductory, but its core to EE and it sounds like you're ahead of your studies.

Signals and Systems: Continuous and Discrete by Ziemer, Tranter, and Fannin.

It is great if you like differential equations, and want a more mathematical view of circuits and systems in general. It gives detail on Fourier transforms too, which would be useful to you in any engineering/physics program.

Malvino is as introductory as it can be. That was my gold book that I studied to get into the electronics field. I didn't even have a background like him at the time. This is used in Heald College trade school at the time. I learn by studied at home, I did not even attended the class. It is that good. I still use a lot of the info from the book for advanced electronic designs.

For a good introduction to circuits, I like "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Alexander and Sadiku.

If you have done physics up to maxwells already, I'm sure you're familiar with basic circuit theory and a lot of these books might not do the field justice to entice you. If you can download some free textbooks online, you can look at the harder stuff and that should get you excited to get into the subject. Also, do you have experience with programming or microcontrollers? Look at microcontroller projects online and that will give you an idea of the fun stuff you can do.

You really study Griffiths Introduction to ElectroDynamics? That is quite a difficult book for engineer. This is a physics major book and even physics student have a hack of a time studying it...that is if you really understand it. I studied it on the third go around. If you understand Griffiths, you are a genus for high school! I don't even think you have to worry about the engineering EM. If so, read the Malvino, that give you introduction into transistors, opamps, modulations, radio etc. You should be able to go through it in less than two months. That is cake walk compare to Griffiths.

One EM book you might want to read is "Field and Wave" by David K Cheng. It is very strong in Transmission lines, phasors that Griffiths don't have. This is not an easy book, but if you can do Griffiths, you should have no problem. All my EM knowledge are from these two books.

If you really finish ODE, you should study PDE, you never have enough math.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I found Malvino in a library in my city. It seems to be what I was looking for.

Couldn't find the others.

Acut said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I found Malvino in a library in my city. It seems to be what I was looking for.

Couldn't find the others.

Good. Don't think this book is too easy. This book carry me a long way in my engineering career. The transistor and op-amp explanations are second to none. It might look easy, but it really work in real world design.

1. What is an introductory EE textbook?

An introductory EE textbook is a textbook that provides a basic overview of the fundamental concepts and principles in the field of electrical engineering. It covers topics such as circuits, electronics, digital systems, and electromagnetics.

2. Who is an introductory EE textbook intended for?

An introductory EE textbook is typically intended for undergraduate students who are new to the field of electrical engineering. It can also be useful for anyone with a basic understanding of math and physics who wants to learn more about EE.

3. What topics are typically covered in an introductory EE textbook?

Some of the common topics covered in an introductory EE textbook include circuit analysis, basic electronics, digital logic, signals and systems, and electromagnetics. Some textbooks may also cover topics such as power systems, control systems, and communication systems.

4. How can an introductory EE textbook be helpful for students?

An introductory EE textbook can provide students with a solid foundation in the fundamental concepts of electrical engineering. It can also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the field.

5. What are some popular introductory EE textbook titles?

Some popular introductory EE textbooks include "Electric Circuits" by James W. Nilsson and Susan A. Riedel, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku, and "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Richard C. Dorf and James A. Svoboda.