Classical Electron: Will It "Fall" Into the Nucleus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the classical view of the electron and its potential to "fall" into the nucleus. The speaker questions whether this view is accurate, considering the coulombic force experienced by the electron and its potential to adopt an elliptical orbit similar to a planet. The discussion concludes with the understanding that the classical view is incorrect and that the electron would radiate and lose energy in this scenario.
LogicX
In the classical view of the electron, would the electron "fall" into the nucleus?

I'm not asking why the electron doesn't fall into the nucleus. I know this is explained by quantum mechanics.

But in class the other day, my professor said that treating the electron as a classical particle would lead to it crashing into the nucleus. This didn't really make sense to me. An electron experiences a coulombic force from the nucleus, much like a planet experiences a gravitational force from a star. With a classical view of the electron, wouldn't the electrons just adopt an elliptical orbit like a planet on a much smaller scale, or is there some other distinction between a planet and an electron where the electron would act differently and "fall" into the nucleus?

I know the classical view is wrong, I just didn't know if this reasoning really applied.

Physics news on Phys.org

A classical electron would radiate and lose energy.

Vanadium 50 said:
A classical electron would radiate and lose energy.

Gotcha, thanks.

1. What is the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory?

The Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory is a hypothesis proposed by physicist Niels Bohr in the early 20th century. It suggests that as an electron orbits around the nucleus of an atom, it will eventually spiral inward and collapse into the nucleus due to the electromagnetic force between the two particles.

2. Is the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory supported by evidence?

No, the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory is not supported by evidence. In fact, it contradicts the principles of quantum mechanics, which is the current accepted theory of the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Why was the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory proposed?

The Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory was proposed as an attempt to explain the stability of atoms and the observed spectrum of hydrogen. At the time, the concept of quantum mechanics had not yet been developed.

4. How does the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory differ from the current understanding of atomic structure?

The Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory is based on classical physics, which treats particles as point-like objects with definite positions and trajectories. In contrast, quantum mechanics describes particles as wave-like entities with a probability of being found in a certain location. The current understanding of atomic structure is based on quantum mechanics, which has been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Are there any implications of the Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory?

The Classical Electron "Fall" into the Nucleus Theory has been disproven by quantum mechanics, so there are no direct implications. However, it serves as a reminder of the importance of continuously testing and refining scientific theories to accurately describe the world around us.