What are these dangling caterpillars and what are they up to?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, these are small caterpillars that hang from threads on long strings. They are common around campus and have been seen recently in mild winters. There are many different species that do this.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
With the warm weather of the past couple of weeks, I've been frequently running into small caterpillars (about 1-2 cm long and about 2 mm in diameter) dangling from tree branches on long threads. I usually have to brush a few of them off my clothes after walking across campus, or between home and campus. On my way to lunch today, I snagged one of the threads on the visor of my cap, leaving the critter dangling in front of my eyes.

What are these things?

Biology news on Phys.org
Snap a pic next time you see one :smile:

Lots of caterpillars start out tiny, but can spin silk to distribute themselves. That's probably how the tent caterpillars get around and colonize trees. Lately, we have had lots of tiny spiders floating around, but not the caterpillars (yet). With this year's super-mild winter, I might be doing a lot of pruning and burning this summer to get rid of them.

Ryan_m_b said:
Snap a pic next time you see one :smile:

I didn't carry a camera with me while walking today, but I just noticed one sitting on my mouse. It must have fallen off my clothes. Or maybe it fell out of my beard. :uhh: Here it is, thanks to my webcam:

Attachments

• caterpillar.jpg
    caterpillar.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
I've got them all over my Red Oak trees as well. They jump off the tree and dangle from silk threads to avoid predators. There are many different species that do this.

I'm not the only person around here who's noticed them. Today's daily campus announcements e-mail has the following at the top:

ANNOUNCER'S NOTE: This is a college. A place where people search for knowledge. That being the case, can someone -- anyone, really -- tell me what's up with those darn bushwacking inchworms that have launched an epic ambush campaign from the stately oaks of the C? Are they really going to undergo metamorphosis into moths or butterflies -- or are they making their way to the ear canals so they can eat our brains? Is is just a random act of nature or do they get together at night to plan their creepy little sorties? Are they just looking for food? Do they have teeny-tiny tattoos that say "WIGGLE FROM ABOVE" or "ITCHING TO CONQUER"? If you, too, are looking for answers, join HAIL -- Hal's Anti-Inchworm League -- today.

1. What are rappelling caterpillars?

Rappelling caterpillars are a type of caterpillar that has the ability to climb and descend vertical surfaces using silk threads. This behavior is known as "rappelling" and is a unique adaptation for these caterpillars.

2. How do rappelling caterpillars use their silk threads?

Rappelling caterpillars produce silk threads from their spinnerets, which are located at the end of their body. These threads are used to anchor themselves to a surface and create a secure line for them to climb or descend.

3. What surfaces can rappelling caterpillars climb?

Rappelling caterpillars can climb a variety of surfaces, including smooth vertical surfaces such as glass or metal. They can also climb rough surfaces like tree bark or leaves.

4. Do all caterpillars have the ability to rappel?

No, not all caterpillars have the ability to rappel. This behavior is specific to certain species of caterpillars, such as the Eastern Tent Caterpillar and the Fall Webworm.

5. Why do rappelling caterpillars use this behavior?

Rappelling caterpillars use this behavior as a means of protection and survival. By rappelling down from a tree or plant, they can quickly escape predators or find new sources of food without having to travel on the ground.