Creation and annihilation operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (a^\dagger a)^2=a^\dagger a^\dagger a a +a^\dagger a and how to solve for it using the given values of a and a^\dagger. The conversation includes attempts at solving the equation and asking for help in understanding the relationship between aa^{\dagger} and a^{\dagger}a.
Lindsayyyy
Hi all

Homework Statement

Show:

[tex] (a^\dagger a)^2=a^\dagger a^\dagger a a +a^\dagger a[/tex]

wheres:
[tex] a= \lambda x +i \gamma p [/tex]
[tex] a^\dagger= \lambda x -i \gamma p [/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I haven't got much.

I just tried to use the stuff given, put it into my equation and solve it, but I don't get to the right side.

I calculated a+a first

[tex] a^\dagger a ={\lambda}^2x^2 + \frac {1}{2} I + \gamma^2 p^2[/tex]

But when I now try to calculate the square of that term I get lost. If I square it I get to:

[tex] (a^\dagger a)^2= \lambda^4x^4+\gamma^4p^4 +\lambda^2 \gamma^2 (x^2p^2+p^2x^2)-\lambda^2 x^2 -\gamma^2 p^2 +\frac 1 4 I[/tex]Can anyone help me with this? I don't know what to do now/ If I'm on the right way.

Thanks for your help

edit: I is the identity matrix

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a[itex]^{+}[/itex]a)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
= a[itex]^{=}[/itex]aa[itex]^{+}[/itex]a
=a[itex]^{+}[/itex](aa[itex]^{+}[/itex])a.

Now try to get aa[itex]^{+}[/itex] in terms of a[itex]^{+}[/itex]a.

grzz said:
(a[itex]^{+}[/itex]a)[itex]^{2}[/itex]
= a[itex]^{=}[/itex]aa[itex]^{+}[/itex]a
=a[itex]^{+}[/itex](aa[itex]^{+}[/itex])a.

Now try to get aa[itex]^{+}[/itex] in terms of a[itex]^{+}[/itex]a.

what does your a^= mean? I don't know this sign.

Thanks for your help

edit:

[tex] aa^\dagger=\lambda^2 x^2 + \frac 1 2 I +\gamma^2 p^2[/tex]

I used the plus sign instead of the dagger sign.

You are supposed to see a with + as a superscript wherever you see a with ^ as a superscript.

Sorry for the trouble in the notation used.

I see a = not a + but I think it's just a typing mistake.

so what you mean

[tex]...= a^\dagger a a^\dagger a=a^\dagger (aa^\dagger) a[/tex]

is that what you meant?

I calculated my aa+ (see my post) and a+a is the same, though there's a minus infront of the I

Lindsayyyy said:
I calculated my aa+ (see my post) and a+a is the same, though there's a minus infront of the I
"The same"? That difference in sign makes all the difference. Can you now relate [itex]aa^{\dagger}[/itex] to [itex]a^{\dagger}a[/itex]?

With "the same" I meant the rest of the terms. Unlucky word choice from my side I guess.
What do you mean with "can you now relate aa+ to a+a"
do you mean that I should calculate [tex] (aa^\dagger) (a^\dagger a)[/tex]

thanks for the help

No, I meant the relationship between [itex]aa^{\dagger}[/itex] and [itex]a^{\dagger}a[/itex] ie express one of them in terms of the other.

Yes that is what I meant.

Allow me to use a+ to mean a with + as a superscript.

So aa+ = a+a + 1.

Now one more step.

Do you mean something like

[tex] a^\dagger a = 2\lambda^2 x^2 +2 \gamma^2 x^2 -a a^\dagger[/tex]

edit: nevermind, fail lol.

I guess you meant what grzz just said. I have to eat dinner now. I'll try later or tomorrow and come back when I have further questions (I'm pretty sure I will have some :( )

Thanks so far for the help guys.

1. What are creation and annihilation operators?

Creation and annihilation operators are mathematical operators commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the creation and annihilation of particles. They are represented by symbols a† and a, respectively, and are used to manipulate quantum states and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in physical systems.

2. How do creation and annihilation operators work?

Creation and annihilation operators work by acting on quantum states, either creating or destroying particles in the system. The creation operator, a†, adds a particle to the system, while the annihilation operator, a, removes a particle. These operators follow specific mathematical rules and can be combined to create more complex operators.

3. What is the significance of creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Creation and annihilation operators are essential in quantum mechanics, as they allow us to describe and manipulate the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes in physical systems and are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum systems.

4. How are creation and annihilation operators related to each other?

Creation and annihilation operators are related to each other through a mathematical relationship known as the commutation relation. This relation states that the creation and annihilation operators do not commute, meaning that their order matters in calculations. The commutation relation is crucial in understanding the behavior of these operators in quantum systems.

5. What are some applications of creation and annihilation operators?

Creation and annihilation operators have many applications in quantum mechanics, including in the study of quantum field theory, quantum optics, and quantum computing. They are also used in the creation of mathematical models that describe the behavior of particles in physical systems and are essential in the development of new technologies that rely on quantum phenomena.