To All Online Forum Moderators .

• Thread starter Neandethal00
  • Start date
In summary,The forum moderators believe that they are more knowledgeable than the people who post in the forums. This belief is based on their own opinions rather than evidence. This attitude is not respectful of other members and the forum as a whole, and I have closed the thread due to it.
Neandethal00
To All Online Forum Moderators ...

It's not about forum moderators of PF only, I have noticed for years this practices
by forum moderators prevail in all forums throughout Internet.
Be it a science forum, a social forum, political forums, or a dating site forum.

Under what circumstances or beliefs the forum moderators think they are more
knowledgeable than the people who post in the forums?

They delete threads they don't like, they delete posts they don't like,
they talk down anyone who 'dare' to differ with them,
as if their own opinions are the only one right.

As if they are multiple Nobel Prize winners blessing us, commoners, with their knowledge.
The same goes with 'regular posters' in a forum. Regular posters also talk like
the rest of the world does not know anything, and they must have the final words. I know some regular posters in political forums get paid, the reason is obvious.

No, I won't apologize to anyone for my comments.

Physics news on Phys.org

Our physics and science mentors are top notch. I would pay attention to their comments.

Neandethal00 said:
Your post implies a severe naivety. Moderators of any forum act like they are in charge because they are in charge. That does not imply omniscience any more here than in any other circumstance in life. You're just going to have to learn that the people in charge act like they are in charge because they are in charge.

Evo said:
Our physics and science mentors are top notch. I would pay attention to their comments.
Just for clarity: moderators are selected based on many factors, including but not limited to knowledge. If being a foremost expert in our field were the requirement, most of us would not have our jobs, including me. That said, Greg has chosen for us to be "mentors" because we are not just security guards, but people who have some knowledge we can impart.

Still, the vast majority of questions asked are at a relatively low level, so the "knowledge" factor doesn't present a significant issue.

Neandethal00 said:

Yes, that is their job. I suspect you are implying that they are doing this unfairly. I also suspect that you have never been in a real "leadership" position where you have had to uphold the rules in some way. I say this because if you had it would be immediately obvious why they do this. I have spent several years here on PF and I can honestly say that moderators usually talk down with people when they disagree with them because that person is USUALLY wrong. Not always, but usually. And even then they usually only "talk down" to someone after several posts, or even pages of posts of nonsense and rudeness. Also keep in mind that text has none of the normal things you have in a regular conversation to gauge someones mood, tone, etc. What you might consider "talking down" may not be meant that way at all.

the rest of the world does not know anything, and they must have the final words.

And this is any different than a normal conversation with anyone anywhere? Even my best friends have a hard time being "convinced" of changing their own opinions.

I know some regular posters in political forums get paid, the reason is obvious.

I think the nonsense threshold for this thread has been breached.

One of the hardest things for a person to do is consider that they might be wrong. That they might not know what they are talking about. While it can be extremely hard, I think you should ask yourself why you believe these things and if your reasons are honestly reasonable. Consider that your own experiences in life may not give you a "neutral" point of view to start at, and your feelings probably aren't helping. I say this because I've had to do this myself. I know how hard it is. Sometimes it's the hardest thing in the world.

Neandethal00 said:
Generally on PF it is because they are, in fact, more knowledgeable. I know that it is not very "democratic", but not everyone's opinion is equal, particularly not under the rules of this forum.

I assume that your post is a reaction to the recently closed thread "time" in the relativity section. In my opinion, your posts were way out of line, and the moderators acted correctly.

Neandethal00 said:
We have a very talented group of Mentors, and in many cases their skillsets compliment each other. We also cooperate a lot behind the scenes, where we review each others' handling of various Mentoring situations.

I also know that we tend to cultivate the better posters in each of our respective forums, so that the knowledge base and level of expertise in each forum is quite high. If I don't know the answer to a particularly difficult question in the Engineering forums, I know that there are a number of other posters who likely will be able to answer the question. One of the ways we attract such good people is by keeping the signal-to-noise level very high at the PF, and limiting the distractions and clutter.

We delete or lock things based on the rules. You agreed to them when you joined here. If you have an objection to a particular rule, you may voice that objection here in the Feedback forum. Please do a search first though, it is likely that it has been discussed previously and the matter settled.

Most of the staff are practicing mathematicians, scientists and engineers in academia, national research laboratories, or industry. Some are retired, but still active.

They didn't delete this thread. What do you make of that?

That's a two edged sword you're swinging there, pal.

“It has often been said that power corrupts. But it is perhaps equally important to realize that weakness, too, corrupts. Power corrupts the few, while weakness corrupts the many. Hatred, malice, rudeness, intolerance, and suspicion are the faults of weakness. The resentment of the weak does not spring from any injustice done to them but from their sense of inadequacy and impotence. We cannot win the weak by sharing our wealth with them. They feel our generosity as oppression.”
― Eric Hoffer

Neandethal00 said:
It's not about forum moderators of PF only, I have noticed for years this practices
by forum moderators prevail in all forums throughout Internet.
Be it a science forum, a social forum, political forums, or a dating site forum.

As if they are multiple Nobel Prize winners blessing us, commoners, with their knowledge.
the rest of the world does not know anything, and they must have the final words. I know some regular posters in political forums get paid, the reason is obvious.

No, I won't apologize to anyone for my comments.

I'd personally argue that your way with words certainly wouldn't stop me from deleting your posts were I a moderator of any forum you were on.

Tact goes a long way, there are a million other ways you could have said all that, and retained a level of respect for moderators and members, and for yourself.

1. What is the role of an online forum moderator?

An online forum moderator is responsible for managing and overseeing the discussions and activities within an online forum. This includes enforcing rules and guidelines, monitoring content and user behavior, and mediating conflicts between members.

2. How do moderators maintain order and civility in an online forum?

Moderators maintain order and civility in an online forum by setting clear rules and guidelines for members to follow, actively monitoring and removing inappropriate or offensive content, and addressing any conflicts or issues that may arise among members.

3. What qualifications or skills are important for a forum moderator?

Important qualifications and skills for a forum moderator include good communication and problem-solving abilities, knowledge of the forum's subject matter, understanding of online community dynamics, and the ability to remain unbiased and fair in enforcing rules and resolving conflicts.

4. How can members report issues or concerns to moderators?

Most online forums have a designated area or feature for members to report issues or concerns to moderators. This can be through a specific thread or forum section, a reporting button, or a private message system. Members can also reach out to moderators directly through email if necessary.

5. What are some challenges faced by online forum moderators?

Some challenges faced by online forum moderators include managing a large volume of content and users, dealing with difficult or disruptive members, staying updated on forum policies and technology, and balancing their own biases and personal opinions with their moderating duties.