What is a meta nucleus in context of biology?

Containing All the Words and Phrases Generally Used in Medicine and the Allied Sciences, with Their Proper Pronunciation, Derivation, and DefinitionIn summary, during a botany class, the topic of a flower's model and its parts was being discussed. Someone asked for another name for the polar bodies, and the teacher mentioned accepting an answer if someone knew what a meta nucleus is. However, no one knew, so a search was done which led to a chemistry book mentioning meta protons in relation to a meta nucleus. Further research revealed that a meta nucleus refers to the egg-nucleus after being extruded from the germinal vesicle, according to a medical dictionary.
Mr. College
So, I was in botany class the other day and we were going over the model of a flower describing the parts. The ovum, the egg and polar bodies and someone said another name for the polar bodies and my teacher said she would accept the answer if we knew what a meta nucleus is.

Naturally no one knew, so that's why I'm here, does anyone know what this means in the context of biology?

I did a search and came up with nothing, except this chemistry book that refers to meta protons in relation to the meta nucleus.

Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Perhaps your teacher meant a nucleus within a metastable state? (I.e. excited)

I found the answer in a medical dictionary. According to said text it is

Metanucleus: The egg-nucleus after its extrusion from the germinal vesicle

The Practitioner's Medical Dictionary

1. What is a meta nucleus?

A meta nucleus, also known as a metanucleus or karyomastigont, is a specialized structure found in certain protozoans and other unicellular organisms. It is a large, central organelle that contains multiple nuclei, each with its own distinct functions.

2. How does a meta nucleus differ from a regular nucleus?

A regular nucleus contains a single set of genetic material and is responsible for controlling cell functions such as growth and reproduction. In contrast, a meta nucleus contains multiple sets of genetic material and has a more complex role in regulating cell activities.

3. What types of organisms have meta nuclei?

Meta nuclei are found in a variety of single-celled organisms, including certain species of protozoans, algae, and fungi. Some examples include Paramecium, Euglena, and Chlamydomonas.

4. What is the function of a meta nucleus?

The exact function of a meta nucleus varies depending on the organism, but it is generally involved in regulating cell division, controlling gene expression, and coordinating cellular activities such as movement and feeding. In some species, it also plays a role in defense against predators.

5. How is a meta nucleus formed?

A meta nucleus is formed through a process called endodyogeny, where two or more nuclei divide and migrate to the center of the cell to form a single larger nucleus. This process is unique to organisms with meta nuclei and differs from the typical process of cell division in other organisms.