Ferrite core variable inductor

In summary: What is the application of this variable inductor? Can it be implemented with a gyrator circuit instead?In summary, the conversation involves the design of a variable inductor using a ferrite core. The inductance on the side arm decreases as the current through the main winding increases, which is due to a drop in permeability in the core. The design is not very accurate and has a wide range of results. The method is imprecise and non-linear. More information is needed about the specifications and application of the variable inductor.
jrand26
Hi all, I'm working on designing a variable inductor using a ferrite core. The basic idea is that I have a large wound inductor on the central arm which I pass a DC-current through, and a smaller, variable inductor on one of the side arms. As you increase the current through the main winding, the inductance on the side arm decreases. Am I correct in saying that this is due to a drop in permeability in the core? As per the equation,

[tex]L = \frac{\mu N^2 A}{l} [/tex]
What is the physical explanation for an increased current causing a decrease in permeability in the core? Image 1 shows something similar, except I'm only using one of the side arms and there is no air gap on the central winding.

While the design essentially works I'm not satisfied with the accuracy. The biggest problem I've been having is that when I repeat my measurements I get quite a spread of results, which I find really interesting (image 2 shows the curve bounded by max/min measurements). Is there something about the physics of the core which makes it inherently difficult to control? I have noticed hysteresis but I'm not sure that it should effect repeatability. I'm also unsure of the shape of the curve, why does the inductance increase with increasing current briefly at the start?

Any help/comments or links to other resources appreciated :)

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 747
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 657
Physics news on Phys.org
jrand26 said:
Hi all, I'm working on designing a variable inductor using a ferrite core. The basic idea is that I have a large wound inductor on the central arm which I pass a DC-current through, and a smaller, variable inductor on one of the side arms. As you increase the current through the main winding, the inductance on the side arm decreases. Am I correct in saying that this is due to a drop in permeability in the core? As per the equation,

[tex]L = \frac{\mu N^2 A}{l} [/tex]
What is the physical explanation for an increased current causing a decrease in permeability in the core? Image 1 shows something similar, except I'm only using one of the side arms and there is no air gap on the central winding.

While the design essentially works I'm not satisfied with the accuracy. The biggest problem I've been having is that when I repeat my measurements I get quite a spread of results, which I find really interesting (image 2 shows the curve bounded by max/min measurements). Is there something about the physics of the core which makes it inherently difficult to control? I have noticed hysteresis but I'm not sure that it should effect repeatability. I'm also unsure of the shape of the curve, why does the inductance increase with increasing current briefly at the start?

Any help/comments or links to other resources appreciated :)

It looks like you are wanting to use saturation of the core to reduce the effective inductance. This is not a very precise or linear way to accomplish this. Is there a reason you are wanting to control the inductance this way? What is the context of this circuit, and what is the application?

berkeman said:
It looks like you are wanting to use saturation of the core to reduce the effective inductance. This is not a very precise or linear way to accomplish this. Is there a reason you are wanting to control the inductance this way? What is the context of this circuit, and what is the application?

I'm an EE student doing vac-work at a place where they essentially want a variable inductor, but controllable to really precise levels (up to 0.01 mu H). Someone here before me did their thesis on methods for doing this and they determined that this was the best solution, and my project here is to continue on from there.

It seems like a pretty cool solution to the problem, but I can't really say it's that precise if it has such variance in testing. I was thinking by posting the problem here I might get a better understanding of the physics behind the design and the associated limitations.

Would you be able to expand on why this method is imprecise/non-linear? It seems pretty linear to me over a range of current values, although the type of curve doesn't really matter does it? Although I might have misinterpreted what you meant.

jrand26 said:
I'm an EE student doing vac-work at a place where they essentially want a variable inductor, but controllable to really precise levels (up to 0.01 mu H). Someone here before me did their thesis on methods for doing this and they determined that this was the best solution, and my project here is to continue on from there.

It seems like a pretty cool solution to the problem, but I can't really say it's that precise if it has such variance in testing. I was thinking by posting the problem here I might get a better understanding of the physics behind the design and the associated limitations.

Would you be able to expand on why this method is imprecise/non-linear? It seems pretty linear to me over a range of current values, although the type of curve doesn't really matter does it? Although I might have misinterpreted what you meant.

Can you post more about the specifications for this variable inductor? What range of inductances are needed? What is the amplitude of the AC signal that needs to "see" this inductance, compared to the range of DC saturating current that you are using? How quickly do you need to change the inductance? (Like, could you just use a moving slug variable inductor, or do you need to be able to adjust the inductance elecronically fairly rapidly?)

What is the application of this variable inductor? Can it be implemented with a gyrator circuit instead?

berkeman said:
Can you post more about the specifications for this variable inductor? What range of inductances are needed? What is the amplitude of the AC signal that needs to "see" this inductance, compared to the range of DC saturating current that you are using? How quickly do you need to change the inductance? (Like, could you just use a moving slug variable inductor, or do you need to be able to adjust the inductance elecronically fairly rapidly?)

What is the application of this variable inductor? Can it be implemented with a gyrator circuit instead?

Range is about 50-750 mu H, application is in simulating vehicle passing over in-ground inductive loops. I'm not aware of any restrictions on the AC signal or DC saturating current. It needs to change quickly electronically (I'm doing that with a DAC).

A gyrator circuit was looked at but would require a digital potentiometer with higher resolution than is available.

1. What is a ferrite core variable inductor?

A ferrite core variable inductor is an electronic component used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a ferrite core, which can be adjusted to vary the inductance, or ability to store energy, of the inductor.

2. How does a ferrite core variable inductor work?

The ferrite core of a variable inductor is made of a type of ceramic material that has high magnetic permeability, allowing it to easily store magnetic energy. When electricity flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the core, which in turn induces a voltage in the coil. By adjusting the position of the core, the magnetic field and inductance can be varied.

3. What are the advantages of using a ferrite core variable inductor?

Ferrite core variable inductors have several advantages over other types of inductors. They have a high inductance value for their size, making them compact and efficient. They also have a wide range of inductance values that can be adjusted, making them versatile for use in different circuits. Additionally, they have low resistance and can handle high currents, making them suitable for use in power electronics.

4. Where are ferrite core variable inductors commonly used?

Ferrite core variable inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits that require precise control of inductance, such as in radio frequency (RF) circuits, power supplies, and audio equipment. They are also used in applications where space is limited, such as in mobile devices and small electronic devices.

5. How do I choose the right ferrite core variable inductor for my circuit?

When choosing a ferrite core variable inductor, you should consider the required inductance value, the maximum current and frequency of your circuit, and the physical size and shape that will fit in your circuit. It is also important to choose a inductor with a high quality ferrite core, as this will affect its efficiency and performance. Consult with a supplier or refer to datasheets to find the best fit for your specific circuit needs.