[Building a camera] I would like help developing a function.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of accurately measuring the movement of film in a camera, particularly in a camera with a wide view angle and non-standard film size. The proposed solution involves using a function that takes into account the number of turns and starting radius to calculate the desired number of turns. However, it is suggested to use pinch rollers along the edges of the film for more accurate measurements.
Zippie
Hello.

So, I am building a camera and have ran into a problem that I feel could be solved with a semi-simple function.

There is a reel-to-reel system for winding the film from a spool to a dowel of 3/4 inch diameter. I need to know how many turns of this dowel would result in advancing the film a certain distance. I could find the circumference and multiply that by number of turns, but as the circumference increases each turn, this would prove inaccurate after the dozens of turns it would take to reach the end of the reel.

I am asking for a function that takes the number of times turned (or rather which turn it is, to avoid a zero) and outputs the number of turns next needed to advance the film a constant amount.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Zippie said:
Hello.

So, I am building a camera and have ran into a problem that I feel could be solved with a semi-simple function.

There is a reel-to-reel system for winding the film from a spool to a dowel of 3/4 inch diameter. I need to know how many turns of this dowel would result in advancing the film a certain distance. I could find the circumference and multiply that by number of turns, but as the circumference increases each turn, this would prove inaccurate after the dozens of turns it would take to reach the end of the reel.

I am asking for a function that takes the number of times turned (or rather which turn it is, to avoid a zero) and outputs the number of turns next needed to advance the film a constant amount.

Thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

This would be a simple problem involving the thickness of the film (right?), but it is complicated in the real world by the tension of the film affecting how tightly it packs on the pickup dowel.

You could try to experimentally find out what the linear film rate is versus time versus the tension, or a better approach by far would be to use film that has perforations along the edges like regular 35mm film. It will be challenging to make an accurate system without some sort of fiducial markings or perforations on the film.

Can you say more about the application and design constraints?

Thank you.

It is indeed a matter of how tightly it is about the pickup dowel, but it will be kept quite taunt so the variance from an ideal situation could be left out.

The film has marking on the back that could be used as reference, but no suitable method for reading them could be devised for this particular design (it would be far too awkward to add a peep-hole as the plane of focus is actually rounded).

I had thought that a function could be devised that took into account the number of turns, n, and the starting radius(.75) plus the thickness of the film(w), and used the circumference(advance) desired to solve for N... to give the desired number of turns. Or, something of the like. I can't manage to create a suitable method of calculating this.

Is there any reason why this camera does not use the typical sort of film that has evenly spaced holes in the margin where a sprocket gear can engage the film?

Yes, the camera's lens system allows for a very wide view angle of 152° which at the focal length would develop a circle of film [upon said curved 'plane'] of 3,1 in or 78mm. Typical 35mm film would not be able to take advantage of this. 120mm film also has a paper backing which makes it easier to avoid light leaks.

Then I would suggest using pinch rollers along one or both edges of the moving film, to measure the movement of the film. It's not going to be accurate enough to use the turning motion of the pick-up dowel alone, IMO.

That's a good idea. Thank you, Sirs.

1. How does a camera function work?

A camera function works by capturing light through a lens and focusing it onto a light-sensitive material, such as film or a digital sensor. The camera then records the image and stores it for later use.

2. What are the main components of a camera function?

The main components of a camera function include a lens, shutter, aperture, and sensor. The lens captures light and focuses it onto the sensor, while the shutter controls the amount of light that enters the camera. The aperture controls the size of the opening through which light enters the camera, and the sensor records the image.

3. How can I improve the function of my camera?

The function of a camera can be improved by using high-quality lenses, adjusting the aperture and shutter speed for different lighting conditions, and learning how to manually control focus and exposure settings. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the camera can also help improve its function.

4. What are some common issues with camera functions?

Some common issues with camera functions include lens distortion, exposure problems, and focusing errors. These can be caused by technical malfunctions, user error, or environmental factors. Regular maintenance and proper usage can help prevent these issues.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about camera functions?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about camera functions. These include online tutorials, books, workshops, and classes. It is also helpful to practice and experiment with different settings on your own camera to gain a better understanding of its function.