Register to reply

Air Pressure vs Liquid Pressure

by lizardman94
Tags: liquid, pressure
Share this thread:
lizardman94
Aug12-14, 09:00 PM
P: 1
Okay, so Im looking at this article (link at bottom) and it says they have a microorganism liquid contained inside of a CLOSED steel pipe fitting and they heat it until it's reached about 570 degrees inside.

SO HOW MUCH PRESSURE GROWS INSIDE THE CLOSED CONTAINER?

As far as a real life application, I have used the "gay-lussac's law" but this applies to pressure of GASES, how much pressure is inside of it if it's pretty much all thick liquidy algae goop? I want to know what pressure it gets to so that I can have an idea of what material I need to build a pressure vessel to conduct this type of experiment with.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...#axzz36vOWbnzB
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Simon Bridge
Aug12-14, 10:47 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 13,071
If the liquid would normally be a gas at that temperature - then you can see that a lot of pressure is needed to keep it in a liquid state.
To make their one-minute biocrude, Savage and Julia Faeth, a doctoral student in Savage’s lab, filled a steel pipe connector with 1.5 milliliters of wet algae, capped it and plunged it into 1,100-degree-Fahrenheit sand. The small volume ensured that the algae was heated through. Previously the team heated the algae from 10 to 90 minutes and saw the best results when treating the algae for 10 to 40 minutes at 570 degrees. A small batch of algae can reach this temperature in one minute.
Actual paper the article is based on: https://aiche.confex.com/aiche/2012/...per280193.html

So I think you want to look at "superheating water".

Register to reply