Exponential equation vs Logarithmic

In summary, the relationship between y=a^x and y=loga (x) is that the graph of log_a(x) is the reflection of the graph of a^x. The graph of a^x is the inverse function of the graph of log_a(x).
navneet
Hi I was wondering what is the relationship between y=a^x for exponential and y=loga (x) for log

I koe that we can divided this questiong further such as

a) equations --- which I am not sure

b) Graphs - I think we can say that the graph of the log equation is the reflection of exponential, and I stuck, also can we say something about which quads are they in??

please help me :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
navneet said:
Hi I was wondering what is the relationship between y=a^x for exponential and y=loga (x) for log
I koe that we can divided this questiong further such as
a) equations --- which I am not sure
b) Graphs - I think we can say that the graph of the log equation is the reflection of exponential, and I stuck, also can we say something about which quads are they in??
please help me :confused:

[itex]log_a(x)[/itex] is simply the inverse funtion of [itex]a^x[/itex].

To get the graph of [itex]log_a(x)[/itex], simply draw the graph of [itex]a^x[/itex] and do a reflection on the y=x line.

http://www.themathpage.com/aPreCalc/logarithmic-exponential-functions.htm

Look there for graphs of both functions.

All exponential functions intersect the y-axis at y=1, so they all have the point (0,1). Make sure you have that in the graph. We know this is true because...

Let... f(x) = a^x

Then... f(0) = a^0 = 1, for all a>0. Not sure for a=0.

Anyways, read along that page and let us know if you have more questions.

As JasonRox said, ax and loga x are inverse functions. That is, if y= ax, then x= loga y.

The graph of any bijective function, reflected in the y= x line, is the graph of the inverse function.

JasonRox said:
...Let... f(x) = a^x
Then... f(0) = a^0 = 1, for all a>0. Not sure for a=0.
a0 = 1 [itex]\forall \ a \neq 0[/itex]... :approve:

VietDao29 said:
a0 = 1 [itex]\forall \ a \neq 0[/itex]... :approve:

You must write according to the audience.

Adding on to what JasonRox said, in order to accurately graph the functions the bounds (domains/ranges and restrictions) must also be known. Since exponential equations and logarithmic equations are inverse functions, that means that the domain for the exponential is the range for the logarithmic, and vice versa.

In general, for the exponential function, the domain D is generally { D | -inf < x < +inf } with the range being { R | 0 < y < +inf }. The logarithmic function, is the exact opposite. For logarithmic equations, the domain D is { D | 0 < x < +inf } and the range is {R | -inf < y < +inf }. The bounds of the function will determine what quadrant the function is in (unless the function is shifted over [y=a^(x) - 1] or multiplied by a negative, such as y=-a^x).

1. What is the difference between an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation?

An exponential equation is one in which the variable is found as an exponent, while a logarithmic equation is one in which the variable is found as the input of a logarithm function.

2. Can an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation represent the same relationship?

Yes, an exponential equation and a logarithmic equation can represent the same relationship, but in opposite directions. For example, y = 2^x and y = log2(x) represent the same relationship, where x and y are inversely proportional.

3. How are exponential and logarithmic equations used in real life?

Exponential and logarithmic equations are used in a variety of fields, including finance, biology, and physics. In finance, exponential growth and decay equations can be used to model compound interest. In biology, logarithmic equations can be used to measure the pH level of a substance. In physics, exponential equations can be used to model radioactive decay.

4. How do you solve an exponential equation or a logarithmic equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use the rules of exponents and take the logarithm of both sides. To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the inverse property of logarithms and rewrite the equation in exponential form.

5. What are some common applications of exponential and logarithmic equations in science?

In science, exponential and logarithmic equations are commonly used to model growth and decay phenomena, such as population growth, bacterial growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in data analysis and curve fitting to determine the relationship between variables.