Integrability of f(x): Adams Textbook Questions

Since every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers, the lowest value of f in any interval is 0 and the highest value is 1. Then L(f,P)= 0 and U(f,P)= 1.
sony
Ok, so I have two questions regarding something I don't understand in my textbook (Adams)

0 if 0<=x<1 or 1<x<=2
f(x) = 1 if x=1

(by "<=" i mean less than or equal)

I'm supposed to show that it is Riemann integrable on that interval.
They chose P to be: {0, 1-e/3, 1+e/3,2}
L(f,P)=0 (I think I understand this, its just the sum of zero?)

They then get U(f,p)= 0(1-e/3) +1(2e/3) +0(2-(1+e/3))=2e/3 <-- I have no idea how they get this!

And how do they chose that specific partition?

(I get that f is integrable since U(f,P)-L(f,P)=2e/3<e
(I've used e as epsilon :P)

Question 2:
1 if x is rational
f(x)= 0 if x is irrational

I have no idea how they get L(f,P) to be 0 and U(f,P) to be 1!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sony said:
Ok, so I have two questions regarding something I don't understand in my textbook (Adams)

0 if 0<=x<1 or 1<x<=2
f(x) = 1 if x=1

(by "<=" i mean less than or equal)

I'm supposed to show that it is Riemann integrable on that interval.
They chose P to be: {0, 1-e/3, 1+e/3,2}
L(f,P)=0 (I think I understand this, its just the sum of zero?)

They then get U(f,p)= 0(1-e/3) +1(2e/3) +0(2-(1+e/3))=2e/3 <-- I have no idea how they get this!

And how do they chose that specific partition?
They chose that specific partition so that the "odd point" x= 1 where f(1)= 1 is in a very small interval. The fact is that 0 to 1-e, 1-e to 1+e, 1+e to 2 (e= epsilon some very small number) would have worked just as well.
The interval from 0 to 1- e/3 has length 1- e/3, the highest and lowest values of f are both 0 since f is identically equal to 0. That product (the area of the rectangle) is 0(1- e/3)= 0. The interval from 1- e/3 to 1+ e/3 has length 2e/3 and f has highest value 1, lowest value 0 in that interval. The products (areas of highest and lowest rectangles) are (2e/3)(1)= 2e/3 and (2e/3)(0)= 0, respectively. Finally, the interval from 1+ e/3 to 2 is 2- (1+e/3)= 1-e/3 and, again, f is identically equal to 0 so the "upper" and "lower" products are 0(1- e/3)= 0 again.
Okay, using the lowest values we get L(f,P)= 0+ 0+ 0= 0 and using the highest values we get U(f,P)= 0+ 2e/3+ 0= 2e/3

(I get that f is integrable since U(f,P)-L(f,P)=2e/3<e
(I've used e as epsilon :P)
Yes, since by taking e going to 0, we can make those the same: the integral, which, in this case, is 0.

Question 2:
1 if x is rational
f(x)= 0 if x is irrational

I have no idea how they get L(f,P) to be 0 and U(f,P) to be 1!

Thanks!

Every interval contains both rational and irrational numbers. What is the lowest value of f in any interval? What is the highest value of f in any interval?

1. What is integrability?

Integrability refers to the property of a function where it can be integrated, or have a definite integral, over a given interval.

2. How do you determine if a function is integrable?

A function is integrable if it meets certain criteria, such as being defined and continuous on the given interval, and having a finite number of discontinuities and singularities. It also must satisfy the Riemann or Lebesgue integrability criteria.

3. What is the difference between Riemann and Lebesgue integrability?

Riemann integrability is based on the concept of partitions and approximations, while Lebesgue integrability is based on the measure of a function's domain. Lebesgue integrals are more general and can integrate a wider range of functions than Riemann integrals.

4. Can all functions be integrated?

No, not all functions are integrable. Some functions, like those with infinite discontinuities or oscillations, are not integrable using traditional methods. However, there are alternative integration methods, such as Laplace transforms, that can integrate a wider range of functions.

5. How is integrability related to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding its antiderivative. Integrability is necessary for the fundamental theorem of calculus to hold, as a function must be integrable in order to have an antiderivative.