Understanding Residual Stresses: Books & References

• Thread starter dilberg
  • Start date
In summary, residual stresses can be a problem when modeling a fracture. There are various ways to model residual stresses, but it can be done with a degree of complexity.
dilberg
I'm having some trouble understanding residual stresses. I need to model a residual stress pattern into a finite element model. Can someone recommend books or references that has computations with residual stresses?

Engineering news on Phys.org
See this paper
http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/PDF/conf-rpqnde-92-p1863.pdf
FINITE ELEMENT MODELING OF THE BULK MAGNITIZATION OF RAILROAD
WHEELS TO IMPROVE TEST CONDITIONS FOR MAGNETOACOUSTIC
RESIDUAL STRESS MEASUREMENTS
J. P. Fulton and B. Wincheski
Analytical Services and Materials, Inc.
107 Research Drive
Hampton, VA 23666
M. Namkung
NASA, Langley Research Center

Google "residual stress","finite element analysis" and see what pops up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got stuck with your "into" ... are you interested in applying residual stresses as a predefined field in FEA or carry out a residual stress simulation (for example of welding or whatever 'process' results in the existence of residual stresses) of something particular?

As PerennialII mentioned, it would be useful to know the area of particular interest. For example, welds do have residual stress, particular fusion welds in the area of final solidification. Hot tearing can be a problem.

One challenge in FEM of solids or systems involving phase change from solid to liquid is the transformation of thermal strain into mechanical strain. Thermal strains 'do not' produce stress, mechanical strains do - and this is a key factor in modelling dynamic thermal systems with rapid temperature changes which cause a rapid redistribution of mechanical load - as well as changes in the yield and ultimate strengths - i.e. shift in the plastic or yield curve.

I am interested in effect of residual stresses on fatigue cracks. I have a parametric model of a fracture specimen, and I am trying to model residual stress pattern (due to prior yielding, probably due to fluctuating loads) as a predefined field as PerrenaII mentioned. From literature I gather that this could be done by modeling the residual stress pattern as a thermal strain field and I have been trying to this for a while now without much success. I am using ANSYS. I would be grateful for any help anyone can give me about this.

dilberg said:
I am interested in effect of residual stresses on fatigue cracks. I have a parametric model of a fracture specimen, and I am trying to model residual stress pattern (due to prior yielding, probably due to fluctuating loads) as a predefined field as PerrenaII mentioned. From literature I gather that this could be done by modeling the residual stress pattern as a thermal strain field and I have been trying to this for a while now without much success. I am using ANSYS. I would be grateful for any help anyone can give me about this.

Sounds doable, however can be done with various degrees of complexity like Astronuc's answer already implies (seems to apply quite generally to residual stress problems). I'm thinking is the thermal strain approach you're after in this case just a substitute problem to get the analysis (and Ansys especially) to accept (to take in) the initial stress field (or/and are you using it to transfer a solution from a model without a crack to a one with a crack)? Such steps are quite often done in these types of problems, alternatively would have to consult Ansys manuals, whether the software accepts an element by element (or node by node, integration point by integration point) input of an initial residual stress state to an analysis (if you'd have a literature/previous solution available you could use it then via such a procedure). I'd say it does, but am not 100% sure.

Next, you could naturally try to do the analysis which would actually lead to the existence of the residual stress field - for example an appropriate nonlinear elastic-plastic analysis of your configuration under fluctuating loads and see what results, and transfer the results of your 1st analysis as input to your 2nd, fatigue crack analysis. Are we getting anywhere towards the right track?

1. What are residual stresses?

Residual stresses are internal stresses that remain in a material even after external loads have been removed. They can be caused by various factors such as manufacturing processes, thermal gradients, or mechanical deformation.

2. How do residual stresses affect material properties?

Residual stresses can have both positive and negative effects on material properties. They can increase the strength and hardness of a material, but they can also cause distortion, cracking, and premature failure if not properly managed.

3. What are common methods for measuring residual stresses?

There are several methods for measuring residual stresses, including X-ray diffraction, neutron diffraction, hole-drilling, and strain gauges. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific application and material.

4. How can residual stresses be controlled or reduced?

Residual stresses can be controlled or reduced through various techniques such as heat treatment, shot peening, and mechanical surface treatments. These methods can help to redistribute or relax the stresses in a material, improving its overall performance.

5. What are some recommended books and references for understanding residual stresses?

Some highly recommended books and references for understanding residual stresses include "Residual Stresses in Engineering Materials" by A. Neimitz and J. B. Bressers, "Measurement of Residual and Applied Stress Using Neutron Diffraction" by K. L. Murty and G. S. Schajer, and "Introduction to Residual Stress" by J. R. Davis. Additionally, various research papers and journals in the field of materials science and engineering also provide valuable information on residual stresses.