Whats the difference between a reactant and a reagent?

• Thread starter dnt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the terms "reactant" and "reagent" are often used interchangeably to refer to a substance involved in a chemical reaction. However, in the context of detecting cocaine during customs controls, the more appropriate term would be "reagent." This is because most test kits used for this purpose contain reagents, not reactants.
dnt
is there any?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is a slight difference.

From answers.com,

reactant: A substance participating in a chemical reaction, especially a directly reacting substance present at the initiation of the reaction.

reagent: A substance used in a chemical reaction to detect, measure, examine, or produce other substances.

For example, hydrochloric acid is the chemical reagent, that would cause the reactant calcium carbonate to release carbon dioxide. Naming as a reactant or reagent is a matter of convention or perspective.

Last edited:
Sorry, my mistake. But I am new to english terms.

reactant or reagent

I am a spanish/english translator and I need to know if the correct collocation to mean the test conducted to recognize cocaine during customs controls requires a "reactant of cocaine" or a "reagent of cocaine" or something different. My interest is only terminological, my mother tongue is Spanish and I am translating into English, so you, English native speakers and physicists, will certainly be able to help me. Thank you.

'Reagent' is more appropriate (or more common) but 'reactant' would not be incorrect in this case. Most test kits contain 'reagents' as you could discern from many chemical suppliers' descriptions of their test kits.

1. What is the main difference between a reactant and a reagent?

A reactant is a substance that undergoes a chemical reaction and is consumed in the process, while a reagent is a substance that is added to a reaction to facilitate or control the reaction.

2. Can a reactant also be a reagent?

Yes, a substance can be both a reactant and a reagent, depending on the specific reaction it is involved in. For example, water can act as a reactant in some reactions and as a reagent in others.

3. How do reactants and reagents affect a chemical reaction?

Reactants are necessary for a chemical reaction to occur, as they are the starting materials that are consumed in the process. Reagents, on the other hand, can speed up or slow down a reaction, control the direction of the reaction, or produce a specific product.

4. Are reactants and reagents the same as products?

No, reactants and reagents are not the same as products. Reactants and reagents are the substances that are present at the beginning of a reaction, while products are the substances that are formed as a result of the reaction.

5. Can you give an example of a reactant and a reagent in a chemical reaction?

Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) can act as both a reactant and a reagent in the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide. NaOH is a reactant as it is consumed in the reaction, and it is also a reagent as it neutralizes the acid and controls the direction of the reaction.