How far does a baseball drop when thrown at 42.4 m/s over 15.3 m?

• Thread starter hemang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Baseball
In summary, a discussion about a major league pitcher's throwing speed of 42.4 m/s and the resulting drop of a ball thrown horizontally at that speed towards a catcher 15.3 m away ensued. The equations v=d/t and y=1/2(v+v0)t were mentioned. However, it was pointed out that the necessary equation involving acceleration (or gravity) was missing. The first part of the solution, determining the time of 0.361 seconds, was deemed important. It was also noted that in physics, not substituting with units could result in a loss of credit. The second equation used implied that the ball either speeds up or slows down uniformly during its journey. Further assistance was requested.
hemang

Homework Statement

A major league pitcher can throw a baseball in excess of 42.4 m/s. if a ball is thrown horizontally at this speed, how much will it drop by the time it reaches the catcher who is 15.3 m away from the point of release?

Homework Equations

v=d/t and y=1/2(v+v0)t

The Attempt at a Solution

time=d/t y=1/2(V+v0)t
=15.3/42.4 =1/2(42.4+0)(.361)
=0.361s y=7.65

Answer: 7.65m
Am I right?
help me If I am wrong
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your answer sound reasonable - the ball drops 7.65 meters?
You're missing the necessary equation; one that would involve acceleration (or gravity to be more specific.)
The first part of your solution: that time is 0.361 seconds is important, although you typed one of the letters wrong in the equation (you have time = distance divided by time) Gravity will be acting on the ball for that amount of time. For what it's worth, at least in physics in NY, you would automatically lose half the credit for not substituting with the units; i.e. you have t=d/v = 15.3meters / (42.4 m/s). But, it's up to your teacher as to what's allowed.

Incidentally, the second equation you used implies that either the ball speeds up uniformly to 42.4 m/s over the .361 second span of time while it travels from the mound to home plate, or that it slows down uniformly to 0 as it travels.

I still don't get it. help me further.
I will appreciate it.

1. What is the origin of baseball?

The exact origins of baseball are unclear, but it is believed to have evolved from a British game called "rounders." The first recorded game of baseball took place in 1846 in Hoboken, New Jersey.

2. How many players are on a baseball team?

A professional baseball team has 25 players on its active roster, but only 9 players are on the field at a time. In addition, teams have a 40-man roster of players who are eligible to be called up to the active roster at any time.

3. What are the basic rules of baseball?

The basic rules of baseball involve two teams taking turns batting and fielding. The batting team tries to score runs by hitting the ball and running around the bases, while the fielding team tries to get the batting team's players out by catching the ball or tagging them with the ball.

4. How long is a baseball game?

A professional baseball game typically lasts around 2-3 hours. However, if the game goes into extra innings, it can last longer. In addition, rain delays or other interruptions can also extend the length of a game.

5. How is the World Series determined?

The World Series is the championship series of Major League Baseball (MLB). It is played between the winners of the American League and National League playoffs. The first team to win 4 out of 7 games is declared the World Series champion.