How to prove a sequence converges linearly or quadractically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of linear and quadratic convergence in sequences. It is mentioned that a sequence converges linearly if a constant exists that satisfies a certain condition, and quadratically if a different constant satisfies a different condition. Examples of sequences that converge linearly and quadratically are given, and it is suggested that any number can be used in a recursive formula to create a sequence that converges to that number with any power of convergence. The original poster expresses confusion about these concepts but thanks the other participants for their explanations.
dinosoup
I have a question from my assignment which requires me to prove that a sequence converges to 0 linearly, and another sequence that converges quadractically. I have no idea how to do this. The prof didn't talk much about it neither have the TA.

The textbook book just gives the following about convergence:

"A method that produces a sequence of {pn} of approximations that converge to a number p converges linearly if, for large values of n, a constant 0 < M < 1 exists with

|p - p(n+1)| <= M|p - pn|

The sequence converges quadractically if, for large values of n, a constant 0 < M exists with

|p - p(n+1)| <= M|p - pn|^2
"

The n, (n+1) are meant to be subscripts. Could someone prove an example sequence which converges linearly or quadractically? Or give me some tips on how to do so? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of obvious ones:

[tex]\frac{3n+2}{n+1}[/tex] converges to 3 linearly because
[tex]|3-\frac{3(n+1)+2}{(n+1)+1}|= \frac{1}{n+2}[/tex]
while [tex]|3-\frac{3n+2}{n+1}|= \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

and certainly [tex] \frac{1}{n+2}< 1* \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
"quadratic" convergence is a little harder (which is why it wasn't in my first post. I had to think about it!) but here is an obvious example:

Take p0= 1 and then define recursively:
pn+1= (1/2)pn2.

That is: p0= 1
p1= 1/2
p2= 1/2(1/4)= 1/8
p3= 1/2(1/64)= 1/128 etc.

That clearly converges to 0. for any n, |p- pn+1| = pn+1= (1/2)p2 so it obviously of quadratic convergence (with M= 1/2).

The recursive formula makes that obvious. I could have blown your mind by handing you the result: [tex]p_n= \frac{1}{2^{2^n-1}}[/tex]!

You can get a sequence that converges to any number, m, by simply adding m to that sequence: would you have guessed that
[tex]p_n= \frac{(5)(2^{2^n}-1)}{2^{2^n-1}} [/tex] converges quadratically to 5?

You should now be able to create sequences that converge to any number with any power of convergence.

Thanks for that clarifying post. I've never heard of these types of convergence, and it worried me slightly that a non-convergent (in the usual sense) sequence could be said to converge quadratically, as appeared in the original version of the first reply.

Hi thanks for your reply HallsofIvy. Though I counldn't figure out how to do the question from my assignment. But thanks again.

1. How do I know if a sequence is converging?

The best way to determine if a sequence is converging is to plot its terms and see if they approach a single value as the number of terms increases. If the terms get closer and closer to a specific value, then the sequence is converging.

2. What is the difference between linear and quadratic convergence?

Linear convergence means that the difference between consecutive terms in the sequence decreases at a constant rate. Quadratic convergence, on the other hand, means that the difference between consecutive terms decreases at a rate that is squared. In other words, quadratic convergence is faster than linear convergence.

3. How do I prove that a sequence is converging linearly?

To prove that a sequence is converging linearly, you must show that the difference between consecutive terms decreases at a constant rate. This can be done by calculating the limit of the ratio of consecutive terms, which should be a constant value.

4. Can a sequence converge both linearly and quadratically?

No, a sequence can only converge in one way - either linearly or quadratically. If a sequence is converging quadratically, it means that it is also converging linearly, but the rate of convergence is faster.

5. What is the significance of knowing the rate of convergence of a sequence?

Knowing the rate of convergence of a sequence can help us understand how quickly the terms approach the limiting value. This information can be useful in many mathematical applications, such as optimization problems and numerical analysis.