Tell me if my mind is messed up

• Medical
  • Thread starter venger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the author is describing how she is easily distracted when working on problems and how this affects her writing. She also discusses how she may be suffering from a learning disability and how to determine if this is the case.
venger
Everytime i write down something the thing that is in my mind is right, but what i wrote down is completely different. For instance, if I wrote down two plus two and stopped and thinked thinking it is four I would write down two instead of four for some odd reason. It's like I'm lingering off... What is this and how can i stop this? This is happening to me way often. It is not helping my marks in math, but in lottery... yes!

Biology news on Phys.org
Well the first think to do is to stay calm and to not get worked up. Have you tried to say the number out loud as you write it?

I'm wondering if it might have something to do with brain hemispheres. Have you seen those tests where you must write down the colour of the word, it is really difficult, like if the word 'red' is written with green ink, it's tough to write down that it is green. (Please forgive my vagueness here)

No those games are easy. A better way of explaining it is while my mind does the thinking my hand has a mind of its own... Another way of putting it, Its like i am making a mistake and i did not realize i made a mistake.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely clear what you're saying the problem is. I'm seeing two different ways to interpret what you've said in your opening post. I'm going to explain what I think each interpretation is. Please let me know if either of them is a correct understanding of the problem, and if not, please provide further clarification.

It seems you are either describing:
A) You are easily distracted when working on problems. When you think of an answer, your mind wanders, and you then end up writing something incorrect.

or

B) You stay focused on the problem, and are thinking the right answer. But, when it is time to write the answer, there is some "miscommunication" between your thoughts and your writing.

Your clarification in reply #3 makes it sound more like B than A. But is that a correct understanding?

If so, do you have the same problems in oral communication as in written communication? In other words, if a teacher asked you to solve 2+2, would you say the correct answer out loud, but then write it down wrong, or would you think "4" but say or write something else?

Does it only happen with math problems, or in other subjects as well? I ask because I see some things in your writing here that are also somewhat oddly written. That might all be part of the same problem, or you may have just been careless in writing quickly to post here. It will be important to determine if it is a situation specific problem (only in math) or generalized (anything you write) in order to better sort out the source of the problem and how to deal with it.

In any case, you may want to consider being evaluated for a learning disability. If you can think the right answer, but then write the wrong answer, it would suggest there is a problem connecting your thoughts/problem solving ability with your motor function/writing ability. If the problem is only in written work, you may be able to seek accomodation by doing assignments and exams orally. If the problem is distraction, you may want to find out if you have a form of ADD (or start by eliminating other things that may make you more easily distracted, such as too much caffeine or improper nutrition or insufficient sleep at night...all of those things can lead to easy distraction/difficulty staying focused without being ADD, and are easily remedied with dietary/behavioral changes).

If you have never checked, the first step might be to sit down with your teacher and work through problems orally to see if you are only writing things wrong or also saying things wrong.

In the interim, check and double check and triple check all your work before turning it in. Look specifically for those types of mistakes to try to catch them, and don't rush through assignments (such mistakes can happen out of plain old-fashioned carelessness too).

I would agree that what i am saying is related to (B). Here is a dilemna that i still face today. I can not say "S" without adding the sh as in "shhh" and when i say "sh" as in show I'll say sew. In Addition, I have poor grammar skills, but great spelling skills and odd flow of words. This said, I am currently reading a book entitled "handbook of English Grammar and Usage" wondering if it may help the problems I face. Although, it may not help my lisp of "shh" & "s"

Bottom line, The post that i replied earlier was not as clear. What i meant to say is, why do we make careless mistakes. An instance of that would be my math. I always write with a pattern, for example, i write 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 2. I figured that out lately.

Well, the thing you need to determine for yourself, or with help of someone specializing in learning disabilities, is if you are making just careless mistakes, or if you are making mistakes because of a problem with getting your thoughts into writing. Since you also mention having a lisp, it sounds more likely that this is a symptom of a learning disability. If that's the case, the sooner you get a definitive diagnosis, the sooner you can get help learning how to adapt to it. And, if it really is just carelessness, then you can also work on staying better focused and proofreading more often to find those mistakes you know you make.

Venger, if you copy something does it also happen or is it only when you create?

Verty what do you mean by that?

My school said that i have a learning disability, but lately they doubt that i have one. Since, I'm changing almost everyday into a new person. It's hard for me to be on topic and i act as if nothing changed.

1. What are the signs that my mind may be messed up?

Some common signs that may indicate a possible issue with your mental health include changes in mood or behavior, difficulty concentrating or making decisions, feeling constantly overwhelmed or anxious, and withdrawal from social activities.

2. How do I know if I need professional help for my mental health?

If you are experiencing persistent or severe symptoms that are impacting your daily life, it is important to seek professional help. This may include therapy, medication, or a combination of both. It is also important to seek help if you are having thoughts of self-harm or suicide.

3. Can my mind be "messed up" even if I don't have a diagnosed mental illness?

Yes, having a "messed up" mind does not necessarily mean that you have a diagnosed mental illness. It can refer to any difficulties or challenges you may be facing with your mental health, such as stress, anxiety, or trauma.

4. How can I take care of my mental health?

There are many ways to take care of your mental health, including practicing self-care, maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle, seeking support from friends and family, and seeking professional help if needed. It is also important to recognize and address any underlying issues or triggers that may be contributing to your mental health struggles.

5. Is it normal to feel like my mind is messed up sometimes?

It is completely normal to experience fluctuations in your mental health and to feel like your mind is "messed up" at times. However, if these feelings persist or significantly impact your daily life, it is important to seek help and address any underlying issues that may be contributing to them.