Winding "Hot" Armatures for HO Slot Cars

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's interest in winding their own "hot" armatures for their HO slot cars. They are having trouble finding sources of direction and are hesitant to use their own wire for fear of damaging it. They mention a video they made of racing and provide links to helpful resources on motor winding for HO slot cars. They express gratitude for the provided information and plan on using it to improve their skills and adjust for voltage differences.
vadslram
I play around with HO slot cars and would like to wind my own "hot" armatures but I can't find any sources of direction. It seems like everyone knows how to do it so why explain:frown:
I've bought a couple of pounds of mag wire in different guages but I would hate to tear up a good one to deconstruct and the dead ones I have got a little too warm to figure which wire to which tab. and is there a preference in winding direction?
We made up a video of some racing but it's 37 MB I'll cut it down and post it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks I had done ASK and Google searches and never seen those. The second link is exactly what I needed. Now that I have the basics I'll get good on them then try tweaking for voltage differences.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of winding "hot" armatures for HO slot cars?

The purpose of winding "hot" armatures for HO slot cars is to increase the power and speed of the car. By using thinner wire and more turns, the armature can generate a stronger magnetic field and produce faster rotations, resulting in a faster and more powerful car.

2. What type of wire is used for "hot" armatures?

Typically, magnet wire with a thinner gauge (between 30-34 AWG) is used for winding "hot" armatures. This type of wire has a thin coating of insulation that allows for more turns to be wrapped around the armature.

3. How many turns should be used when winding a "hot" armature?

The number of turns can vary depending on the specific motor and desired level of power. Generally, between 45-65 turns are used for "hot" armatures in HO slot cars.

4. What tools are needed to wind a "hot" armature?

To wind a "hot" armature, you will need a motor armature jig, wire cutters, a pin vise or drill, and a spool of magnet wire. It may also be helpful to have a soldering iron and solder for attaching the wire to the commutator.

5. Can I wind a "hot" armature myself or should I have it done professionally?

Winding a "hot" armature can be a complex process that requires precision and attention to detail. If you do not have experience with motor winding, it may be best to have it done professionally to ensure optimal performance. However, with the proper tools and instructions, it is possible to wind a "hot" armature yourself.