Advantages/disadvantages of disc brakes in any vehicle

In summary, the problems being faced while using disc brakes in any sort of vehicles are heat transfer and warping.
banerjeerupak
could someone let me know the problems being faced while using disc brakes in any sort of vehicles?

Engineering news on Phys.org
what problems?? like heating of the disk?? or what??

any problem that you could suggest.
i'm thinking of an alternative to disc brakes.
but for that i need to know the problems being encountered by the user of the disc brake. then i can go ahead and try to formulate solutions for them.

wikipedia.org covers some basic issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brakes

I believe that warping due to heating is the biggest issue. That is mitigated by the slots and holes in high-performance discs.

Disk brakes are pretty bulletproof. I have read that the next big step in disk brakes would be calipers driven electrically rather than hydraulically. Heat transfer is a major concern, but that also falls under car design because drilled rotors need ducting to channel air into remove heat.

PML built an electric car that took a neat spin on braking:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php
reverseing the motors spin to create a braking force.

SRode said:
PML built an electric car that took a neat spin on braking:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/08/the_hybrid_mini.php
reverseing the motors spin to create a braking force.

They're not reversing the motor current per se, but rather running the motors as generators. That's what's already done in standard hybrids to some extent (the batteries there can't take up the full power generated in this way, so you still need normal brakes). It's also used in electric RC cars.

As an aside, that Mini must have terrible ride and handling. A motor in each wheel would add a huge amount of unsprung weight.

Warping, squeal, fade, performance at low temperatures, performance at high temperatures, corrosion, judder, proportionality, life, wet performance, heat dissipation, control, balancing...

1. What are the advantages of using disc brakes in a vehicle?

Disc brakes offer better stopping power and are more efficient at dissipating heat compared to drum brakes. They also have a longer lifespan and are less prone to brake fade, providing a more reliable braking system.

2. Are disc brakes more expensive than drum brakes?

Yes, disc brakes tend to be more expensive than drum brakes due to their more complex design and the use of additional components such as calipers and rotors. However, the cost difference is often offset by the longer lifespan and improved performance of disc brakes.

3. Do disc brakes require more maintenance compared to drum brakes?

Disc brakes generally require less maintenance compared to drum brakes. They have fewer moving parts and are less susceptible to wear and tear. However, regular inspection and replacement of brake pads and rotors is still necessary for optimal performance.

4. What are the disadvantages of using disc brakes?

One major disadvantage of disc brakes is that they are more sensitive to water and dirt compared to drum brakes. This can cause reduced braking performance in wet or muddy conditions. Additionally, disc brakes can be more difficult to service and repair without proper tools and knowledge.

5. Are disc brakes suitable for all types of vehicles?

While disc brakes are commonly used in most modern vehicles, they may not be suitable for all types of vehicles. For example, heavy-duty trucks and off-road vehicles may benefit more from the simplicity and durability of drum brakes. The type of vehicle and its intended use should be considered when deciding between disc and drum brakes.