Inverse lorentz transformation question

In summary, the coordinates of the event in S' are (1240.700, 4.0, 2.0*10^-5), and the coordinates of the event in S are (9547.00, 4.0, 2.0*10^-5). The inverse transformation used to obtain the original coordinates in S' is gamma*(x'-vt)/(c^2).
Benzoate

Homework Statement

Suppose that an event occurs in inertial frame S with cooridinates x=75 m y=18 m ,z=4.0 m and t=2.0*10^-5 seconds . The inertial frame S' moves in the +x direction with v=c*.85 . The origins of S and S' coincided at t=t'=0. a)what are the coordinates of the event in S' and b) Use the inverse transformation on the results of part(a) to obtain the original coordinates

Homework Equations

x=gamma*(x'+vt') , t=gamma*(t'+v*x'/c^2) , t'=gamma*(t'-v*x'/c^2) , x'=gamma*(x-vt)
gamma=1/sqrt(1-B^2) ; B=v/c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't have a problem calculating the coordinates in part a, but I will display my results from part a nevertheless

a) gamma =1/sqrt(1-(.85)^2= 1.9
y'=y=18 m
z'=z=4 m
x'=1.9*(75 m-(.85c)(2.0e-5 sec))=-9547.00 m
t'=1.9*(2.0e-5 - (.85c)(75)/(c^2))= .00004 secondsb) y=y'=18 m
z=z'= 4 m
x= 1.9*(-9547 m + (.85c)(.00004 sec)) = 1240.700
t=1.9*(.00004 seconds +(.85c)(-9547 m)/(c^2))= .00002

In part b,I don't understand why my calculations are incorrect for x , but not for t , z, or y

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're not carrying enough decimal places... for t' and gamma you need more decimal places.

sorry, t is suppose to be equal to .00002 seconds, not .000002 seconds .gamma's actually value is 1.898 , but that still shouldn't effect the result of my other space coordinates if I round gamma to 1.9. no, t' is correct because when I plug t' into the equation for t, I get the correct result for t.

when I plug in t' = 3.759625*10^-5 into the inverse formula for x, I get back the correct x.

oh, so you didn't round t'?

Yeah, I didn't round... but seems I still wasn't accurate enough.

Also, I'm getting x = -9537.45... not x = -9547...

It seems to work out when x = -9537.45 and t = 3.75567*10^-5 s

Last edited:

1. What is the inverse Lorentz transformation?

The inverse Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used in special relativity to convert between two reference frames that are moving relative to each other at a constant velocity. It is the inverse of the Lorentz transformation which is used to convert from one reference frame to another.

2. How is the inverse Lorentz transformation different from the Lorentz transformation?

The inverse Lorentz transformation is the mathematical inverse of the Lorentz transformation. While the Lorentz transformation is used to convert from one reference frame to another, the inverse transformation is used to convert back to the original reference frame. This allows us to calculate quantities like velocity and time in both reference frames.

3. What are the variables in the inverse Lorentz transformation equation?

The variables in the inverse Lorentz transformation equation are: v, the relative velocity between the two reference frames; x, the distance in the original reference frame; t, the time in the original reference frame; and x', the distance in the new reference frame.

4. How is the inverse Lorentz transformation used in physics?

The inverse Lorentz transformation is used in physics, specifically in special relativity, to understand how physical quantities like time, distance, and velocity change when observed from different reference frames. It is essential for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or spacecraft traveling at relativistic speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to the inverse Lorentz transformation?

Like all mathematical equations, the inverse Lorentz transformation has limitations. It is only applicable in situations where the relative velocity between the two reference frames is constant, and it does not take into account the effects of gravity. Additionally, it is only valid in the context of special relativity, and it cannot be used to describe the behavior of objects at speeds close to the speed of light.