Calculating Time and Velocity with a Spark Tape

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a spark timer and spark tape to calculate time and velocity. The spark tape is a lightweight paper tape that is attached to the moving object and marked at regular intervals by a mains-fed coil, with marks being 1/60 second apart in the USA/Canada or 1/50 second in Europe. These marks can be used to measure the distance between each spot and create a chart to represent the relationship between time and displacement. By manipulating these quantities, one can calculate velocity and determine whether it is average or instantaneous. Other possible uses for the velocities are also mentioned.
Nick A
Well I used a spark timer and got a spark tape, but forgot how to use the spark tape to calculate time and velocity.
I think its something like the number of dots/60 to get time and v=d/t to get velocity
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's a spark tape?

Sounds like you have the right idea, though.

Spark Tape is the tape u insert into the spark timer

I'm guessing it's like the ticker tape counters in school dynamics experiments.

You have a length of lightweight paper tape which attaches to the moving object and goes through a mains fed coil which taps a bit of carbon on the paper every 1/50 or 1/60 second to give a time-displacement relation. I suppose you could use a mains spark to burn marks on the paper rather than draw them.

Nick - The marks will be either 1/60s apart in USA/Canada or 1/50s in Europe.

yea that was what we did, thx!

Thanks mgb_phys, I'd never heard of that before.

So, measure the distance between each spot. Make a chart. What does this represent?
What is the time between each spot? What made them? How are they related to the frequency of the power mains?
How can you manipulate (add, subtract, multiply, or divide?) those quantities to get velocity? What kind of velocity (average or instantaneous) do you think you have?
What else could you do with the velocities?

1. How does a spark tape measure time and velocity?

The spark tape measures time and velocity using a spark timer, which creates small sparks at fixed intervals along a tape. The distance between each spark can be used to measure time, and the speed of the tape can be calculated by measuring the time it takes for the spark to reach different points on the tape.

2. What is the accuracy of a spark tape for measuring time and velocity?

The accuracy of a spark tape depends on the quality of the equipment and the skill of the scientist using it. However, spark tapes are generally considered to be quite accurate, with a margin of error of only a few milliseconds.

3. Can a spark tape be used for measuring other quantities besides time and velocity?

Yes, a spark tape can also be used for measuring acceleration and displacement. By analyzing the changes in velocity over time, scientists can calculate the acceleration of an object, and by measuring the distance between sparks, they can determine the displacement of the object.

4. How do you set up a spark tape for an experiment?

To set up a spark tape, you will need to attach the tape to a fixed point and connect it to the spark timer. The timer should be set to create sparks at regular intervals, and the tape should be marked with a starting point and ending point. Once the tape is set up, you can begin your experiment.

5. What are the advantages of using a spark tape for time and velocity calculations?

Spark tapes are advantageous because they provide a precise and accurate method for measuring time and velocity. They are also relatively easy to set up and use, making them a popular tool for scientists and students alike. Additionally, spark tapes can be used to measure a wide range of quantities, making them a versatile tool for many different experiments and studies.