Parametric curves applications

In summary, the particle follows the path f(t)=(2cos(t), 2sin(t), t) and flies off on the tangent line at time t=3pi/2. The position of the particle at time t=5pi/2 can be found using the equation of the tangent line, l(s)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + s(2,0,1), where s=pi. This represents a variable substitution, similar to the equation y = m(x - x_0) + y_0, where s=t-3pi/2. Therefore, if it is 3:00 now, it will be 5:00 when s=pi, or t=5pi
kingwinner
Q: A particle is following the path C: f(t)=(2cos(t), 2sin(t), t), t>=0, and flies off on the tangent line at time t=3pi/2. Find the position of the particle at time t=5pi/2.

Solution:
f'(t)=(-2sint,2cost,1)
f'(3pi/2)=(2,0,1)
f(3pi/2)=(0,-2,3pi/2)

Equation of the tangent line:
l(s)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + s(2,0,1)

s=0, (0,-2,3pi/2)
So s=5pi/2 - 3pi/2 = pi gives position at t=5pi/2

l(pi)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + pi (2,0,1)
= (2pi, -2, 5pi/2) [answer]

I don't understand the red part. How come s=pi gives position at t=5pi/2 ? What is the relation between s and t? Are they realted linearly?

It would be nice if someone can explain this part. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]s = t - \frac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

It just represents the starting time when the particle leaves the curve.

But I don't get WHY...
Why not, say, s = t^2 -3pi/2 or s= t - 2* 3pi/2?

It's simple variable substitution. Here's an analogy. Say you have the equation [itex]y = m(x - x_0) + y_0[/itex]. For convenience, I can let [itex]s = x - x_0[/itex], which means [itex]y = ms + y_0[/itex]. Same thing is happening here.

Though I haven't seen parametric equations written in this form before :yuck:, I think the equation of the tangent line could have been written (w/o variable substitution) as:

l(t)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + (t-3pi/2)(2,0,1)

letting s = t-3pi/2 results in:

l(s)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + s(2,0,1)

When t = 5pi/2, s = 5pi/2-3pi/2 = pi

Last edited:
If it is 3:00 now, how long will be until it is 5:00?

Would you even consider saying s = (5)2 -3 or s= 5 - 2(3)?

Why would the position on the tangent line be moved by (2,0,1) per second?
Say, l(s)=(0,-2,3pi/2) + s(8,0,4), I changed the direction vector, but this would still represent the same line, how can I figure out how s and t are related now?

Thanks!

1. What are parametric curves?

Parametric curves are a mathematical concept that involves describing a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. These parameters represent the coordinates of points on the curve or surface, allowing for more flexibility and complexity in describing the shape.

2. How are parametric curves used in real life?

Parametric curves have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, describe the shape of biological structures, and create complex visual effects in movies and video games.

3. What are some common examples of parametric curves?

Some common examples of parametric curves include circles, ellipses, and spirals. Other examples include the paths of projectiles, the movement of planetary bodies, and the shapes of various biological structures such as blood vessels and DNA strands.

4. How do parametric curves differ from traditional curves?

Parametric curves differ from traditional curves in that they are described using parameters instead of equations. This allows for more flexibility in describing complex shapes and allows for the creation of curves that cannot be described by traditional equations.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric curves?

One of the main advantages of using parametric curves is their flexibility in describing complex shapes. They can also be easily manipulated and transformed, making them useful for modeling and animation in computer graphics. Additionally, parametric curves allow for the creation of curves that cannot be described by traditional equations, providing more options for designers and engineers.