Calculating Acceleration and Work in a Changing Force System: A Graph Problem

• Thread starter tachu101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
The final velocity is 11.9 m/s.In summary, the conversation discusses an object of mass (m) moving in a straight line with varying net force and displacement. The given information includes the mass, net force, and displacement at a specific point. Equations for acceleration, speed, time, work, and impulse are provided to find various values at different points. The solutions for acceleration, speed at 11 meters displacement, and time to reach 11 meters displacement are found correctly. The overall final speed and impulse experienced by the object are calculated using the area under the graph and the difference in velocities at different points.
tachu101

Homework Statement

This Question has a graph with it. (See Attachment)

An object of mass (m) moves in a straight line. The net force varies with the displacement. The mass starts at 0 meters and at 0 seconds.The mass goes a total distance of 20 meters. X1 is equal to 11 meters.

Mass --- .87kg
Net Force --- 4 Newtons
X1 --- 11 meters

Find the:
Acceleration of the object when its displacement is 11/3 meters?
The time taken for the object to be displaced from 0 to X1 (11 meters)?
Amount of work done by the net force in displacing the object from 0 to X1 (11 meters)?
The speed of the object at displacement X1 (11 meters)?
The final speed of the object at 20 meters?
The impulse experienced by the object as it is displaced from X1 to 20 meters (9 meters)?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vf^2=Vo^2+2as
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I am doing this right, can someone make sure?

For the acceleration would it be ---- F=ma so --- 4N=.87kg(a) ---- a= 4.597m/sec

For the speed of the object at displacement X1 (11 meters) I used
Vf^2=Vo^2+2as ----- Vf^2=(0)+2(4.597m/s)(11meters) ---- Vf= 10.1 m/s

For the time I used --- t=d/(average velocity) ---- Average velocity= (initial+final/2) =
(0+10.1/2) = 5.05 m/s ? (I am not sure about this)... Then I put it into t=d/(average velocity) ----- t=(11 meters)/(5.05m/s) = 2.19 seconds? (check please)

For the work W=Fd ---- W=(4)(11) ---- 44J

I am not sure how to get the overall final speed of the mass because the force is changing at the end.

I have no idea how to do the impulse experienced by the object from X1 (11 meters) to 20 meters, I am not sure what the equation is.

Can you tell me if I am doing this correctly and how I should try to get the last two parts.

t_Physicsscanm_895193b.png

Attachments

• Physics scan.bmp
    30.8 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cannot see the picture.It says "Atachment pending approval".

I have the graph up now.

For time
[tex]x=v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

[tex]t=\sqrt{\frac{2x}{a}[/tex]

To find overall velocity:
Calculate the area under the graph.[tex]Area=\frac{1}{2}mv_f^2[/tex]

Impulse:

[tex]I=m(v_f-v_{x_1})[/tex]

[tex]v_f[/tex] is the velocity at x=20 m

[tex]v_{x_1}[/tex] is the velocity at x=11 m

Other solutions seems to be right.

I do not understand how the area under the graph could get me the final velocity, can anyone explain?

Because area under the F-x graph equals to work.Here work goes only for kinetic enrgy.

So is the final velocity 11.9 m/s

Yes,you're right!

What is a graph and why is it important in science?

A graph is a visual representation of data that is used to show the relationship between two or more variables. It is important in science because it allows scientists to easily interpret and visualize data, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions based on the data.

How do I choose the right type of graph for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you have and the relationship between the variables. Some common types of graphs include bar graphs, line graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. It is important to choose a graph that best represents your data and effectively communicates your findings.

What are the key elements of a graph?

The key elements of a graph include the title, axis labels, data points, legend, and scale. The title should clearly describe what the graph is showing, the axis labels should identify the variables being plotted, the data points should accurately represent the data, the legend should explain any symbols or colors used, and the scale should be evenly spaced and labeled.

What is the purpose of a trend line on a graph?

A trend line is a line that is drawn on a graph to show the general direction of the data. It helps to identify any patterns or trends in the data and can be used to make predictions about future data points. Trend lines are commonly used in regression analysis to determine the relationship between variables.

How do I interpret a graph?

To interpret a graph, start by looking at the title and axis labels to understand what the graph is showing. Then, examine the data points and look for any patterns or trends. Pay attention to the scale and any labels or symbols in the legend. Finally, use the information from the graph to make conclusions or predictions about the data.