Biology Lab Abstract: Photosynthesis

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between transmittance and photosynthesis in a biology lab. The prediction is that if photosynthesis is occurring, transmittance will increase. Transmittance refers to the light passing through a substance and is measured by converting it to electrical energy. The data showed that chloroplasts exposed to light had a higher transmittance percentage. The conclusion is that a higher transmittance percentage indicates more light being absorbed for photosynthesis, while a lower percentage means less light being absorbed. The use of DPIP as an electron acceptor was also mentioned, as it changes color from blue to clear when reduced.
Eshi
[SOLVED] Biology Lab Abstract: Photosynthesis

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding how increased transmission is an indication to photosynthesis occurring. My teacher gave us the prediction for this lab: if photosynthesis is happening then transmittance goes up.

I know transmittance is light that passes through a substance, and the transmitted light was converted to electrical energy in our experiment so that we could measure it. The data showed that the Chloroplasts with light shining on them had a higher transmittance %.

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea is that a higher % transmittance means that more of the light detected by the machine is transmittance, which would mean that more light is being absorbed for photosynthesis. A lower % transmittance means less light is absorbed because less of the light is transmitted light? This whole thought process is confusing me.

My issue, I guess, is: shouldn't all the light detected by the machine be transmitted light?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you set up your lab? Did you use an indicator dye? If so, which one and how does it work (i.e., does it change color if a reaction occurs, and what is that change?)

yea, that's it, we used DPIP as an electron acceptor, i didn't even think about it, but it does change from blue to clear as it is reduced...can't believe i missed that, thanks for your help

What is photosynthesis?

Photosynthesis is the process by which plants, algae, and some bacteria convert light energy into chemical energy in the form of glucose. This process is essential for the survival of these organisms and also produces oxygen as a byproduct.

What are the main components involved in photosynthesis?

The main components involved in photosynthesis are light, water, and carbon dioxide. Light is absorbed by the pigments in the chloroplasts of plant cells, while water and carbon dioxide are taken in through the roots and leaves, respectively.

What is the role of chlorophyll in photosynthesis?

Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in the chloroplasts of plant cells. It absorbs light energy from the sun and uses it to convert water and carbon dioxide into glucose and oxygen during the process of photosynthesis.

How does the rate of photosynthesis vary under different light intensities?

The rate of photosynthesis increases with higher light intensities up to a certain point, after which it levels off. This is because the maximum amount of light energy that can be absorbed and used for photosynthesis has been reached.

What are the factors that can affect the rate of photosynthesis?

The rate of photosynthesis can be affected by various factors, such as light intensity, availability of water, concentration of carbon dioxide, and temperature. Changes in any of these factors can impact the efficiency of photosynthesis and the overall growth and survival of plants.