Converting Newton's Law of Cooling from Heat Loss to Temperature Decay

In summary, to convert the equation dQ/dt = k ( T - Troom) to dT/dt, we can use the relation T = (dQ/dt)/k + Troom and take the derivative with respect to time to get dT/dt = (1/k)(d^2Q/dt^2). However, in order to solve for T(t), we would need to already know T'(t), making this approach impractical.
Grapz

Homework Statement

The equation dQ/dt = k ( T - Troom) is Newtons law of cooling. dQ/dT being the rate of heat loss. I want to convert this equation to dT/dt, the rate of temperature decay. How do i go about doing this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is Q proportional to T? then i can just sub it in for Q and solve for the differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Q is not proportional to T. Here's what I did:

[tex] \frac{dQ(t)}{dt} = k(T(t)-T_0) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{k}\frac{dQ(t)}{dt} +T_0 = T(t) [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}T(t) = \frac{1}{k}\frac{d^2Q(t)}{dt^2}[/tex]

To me, it seems like you need T(t) to solve for Q(t). But if you already had T(t), then you could just get T'(t) by direct computation. You don't have it though...

1. What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which a hot object cools down in a cooler environment. It states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between its own temperature and the temperature of the surrounding environment.

2. What are the applications of Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is commonly used in various fields such as meteorology, engineering, and physics. It is used to study the cooling of objects and predict the behavior of different systems, such as the cooling of a cup of coffee or the heating and cooling of a building.

3. How is Newton's Law of Cooling related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

Newton's Law of Cooling is closely related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that heat always flows from a hotter object to a colder object. This law explains the direction of heat transfer and how it affects the temperature of objects.

4. What factors affect the rate of cooling according to Newton's Law of Cooling?

The rate of cooling is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the environment, the surface area of the object, and the type of material the object is made of. These factors can either increase or decrease the rate of cooling.

5. Can Newton's Law of Cooling be used to predict the temperature of an object over time?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to predict the temperature of an object over time. By knowing the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the surrounding environment, and the rate of cooling, we can use the equation to calculate the temperature of the object at any given time. However, this assumes that the rate of cooling remains constant, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.