Mech/Aero Engineering and Mechanics

In summary: Uteng is considering entering an engineering program, but is unsure if she would be able to handle the "mechanics work" aspect of the program. She is seeking advice from other engineers to see if this will be a problem.
UTENG
Hi. Right now, I am interested in entering an engineering program in University. The fields I am thinking of are Mechanical or Aerospace (Possibly Computer). I enjoy Math, Physics and Chemistry, and learning how things work definitely interests me. This is why I am thinking of going into engineering. But, I am not really hands on person when it comes to mechanical things. I could probably read a book and figure out how, say, an engine works, but when it comes down to actual mechanics and working on vehicles or the like, I am hopeless. Would this pose a problem for me if I was to go into a program for mechanical engineering? It may be wrong of me, but I generally associate "Mechanical", with "Mechanic" and "Mechanic" with working on engines or cars in general. Maybe if some of you Mechanical engineers could enlighten to what learning the field involves, that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome Uteng,

You don't necessarily need to be hands on but it does help! So when you go into engineering you might want to think about joining communities such as student AIAA, ASME, etc so you will get some hands on experience with several design teams.

If you are still in high school I would not worry about it to much.

Hi there:

As far as I can see, you are doing just fine.

Keep your focus on engineering and computer work.

I went to school of engineering. I thought that when I get my degree, I could work on my car etc. I was dead wrong. School of engineering is not necessarilly about doing the mechanics work. It is about learning and understanding technical principles and theories, solving problems, improving existing technologies and bringing new technologies to the commercial arena.

Engineering education is designed so that studenst with no major prior experience in certain areas, can move forward and successfully complete the given assignments. That is the reason why there are professors, teaching assistants and other students so people can get help when needed.

You can always do mechanics work in your spare time. With all respect to the mechanics work and people who take care of it, mechanics work by itself is not the main focus for someone who wants to go to school of engineering.

My piece of advice is as follow: enjoy what you are doing now and try to do your very best covering as much as you can -- as a result, all other pieces of the puzzle will fall into place one way or the other ...

Good Luck!

Thanks,

Gordan

1. What is the difference between mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems, while aerospace engineering specifically deals with the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft. Mechanical engineers may work on a variety of systems, while aerospace engineers typically specialize in one area.

2. What skills are important for a career in mech/aero engineering?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and a solid understanding of mechanical principles are all important for a career in mech/aero engineering. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are essential for working on complex projects with other engineers and professionals.

3. What industries can I work in with a degree in mech/aero engineering?

Mech/aero engineers can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, defense, and energy. They may also work in research and development or in consulting firms that provide engineering services to different industries.

4. What are some common job titles for mech/aero engineers?

Some common job titles for mech/aero engineers include design engineer, project engineer, systems engineer, aerospace engineer, mechanical engineer, and research engineer. Depending on their area of specialization, they may also be called structural engineers, propulsion engineers, or control systems engineers.

5. What is the career outlook for mech/aero engineers?

The career outlook for mech/aero engineers is positive, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This growth is driven by the need for improvements in technology, infrastructure, and transportation systems. Additionally, the increasing demand for renewable energy sources and advancements in aerospace technology also contribute to the demand for mech/aero engineers.