What makes tennis loud popping sound?

In summary, the popping sound is created by the displacement of air and is related to the strings and the ball. It is lessened when hit on the ground.
YKD
Hi,
When I hit the ball on the center of the racquet face,

it will make a loud popping sound, less off the center.

Why's that?

Is this sound related to the strings, the ball, or the racquet?

Will different strings, string tension, string pattern, ball hardness,
ball felt , hitting power, racquet face angle to the ball...make the sound different?

I can't get an answer scientifically in some tennis forums.

Thank you so much ^_^

YKD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that it's just the displacement of air as the ball rebounds to its normal shape after having been partially inverted by the impact with the racquet. That's just a top-of-my-head impression, though.

its all that grunting they make. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Its probably the rubber being compressed inside out and then 'popping' right side out again.

Thanks Danger and Cyrus!
The popping sound won't be made when the ball is hit on the ground.
It should be related to the strings and the ball,
but I have no idea why it is.

Now, when I hit the ball, I just see a sudden flash of light, and both the ball and my racquet disappear.

^^^ Pro right here

The harder a ball is hit on any surface, the louder will be the sound of the ball hitting the surface.

But the actual poppiness of the sound is created by strings.
Not sure how.

Actually, the sound is made if you bounce the ball off of pavement. It's a little different, but that can be attributed to the way that racquet strings distribute sound waves.

Must be the strings, since the rate of acceleration of the ball is the slowest at the center of the strings, but the elasticity is greater. Try hitting a tennis ball with a baseball bat and compare the sounds.

The strings are probably probably being displaced a bit, causing them to slip, overcoming the static friction between strings, and this sudden movement of the strings, amplified by the racket head is probably making the sound.

try hitting different types of balls. try for example a shutle coff it still makes the popping sound but at a different frequency. it has to do with the weight of the object that has been foced into the strings on the racket. it is basically a sum up of the other people replying to this but i hope this helps.

Thank you all ^_^
yes, the sound is of lower frequency when the ball is hit on the ground.
The center of the strings is the greatest elasticity compared
with the outer,
but in fact, the stringbed is quite hard because of high string tension,
so the string slip should be very less.
And one thing I got is that when the racquet face is 90 degree
to the ground,
no spinning of the ball, and hit harder, the popping sound is great.
Maybe it's the most right angle, right place(stringbed center)
right hardness of the ball and right power for the string vibration
(back and forth) for a certain frequency (loud pop),
which hz?
Similar to guitar or violin? I am not sure...
Hope someone will find the concrete and scientific answer.^_^

Last edited:

1. What causes the loud popping sound in tennis?

The loud popping sound in tennis is caused by the strings of the tennis racket striking the ball. When the strings are stretched, they vibrate and produce a sound wave that we hear as a loud pop.

2. Does the type of tennis racket affect the popping sound?

Yes, the type of tennis racket can affect the popping sound. Rackets with stiffer strings or larger sweet spots tend to produce a louder popping sound compared to rackets with softer strings or smaller sweet spots.

3. Why is the popping sound louder in some tennis matches compared to others?

The popping sound can be louder in some tennis matches due to the force of the player's swing and the speed of the ball. A more powerful swing and a faster ball speed can produce a louder popping sound.

4. Is the popping sound only heard on certain types of courts?

No, the popping sound can be heard on all types of tennis courts. However, different court surfaces can affect the sound. For example, a hard court may produce a sharper popping sound compared to a clay court which may produce a softer popping sound.

5. Can the popping sound be made intentionally?

Yes, the popping sound can be made intentionally by striking the ball with a specific technique. Some players may intentionally hit the ball with a certain amount of spin or force to produce a louder popping sound when it hits the strings of the racket.