Need help with university choice

In summary, the conversation is between a high school student seeking advice on choosing between the University of Toronto and Queen's University for their future studies in life sciences and medical school. They are hoping to get into a university that will help them achieve high grades and improve their chances of getting into medical school. The other person suggests considering other factors such as living environment and extra-curricular opportunities when making a decision and recommends visiting both schools before making a final choice.
mjolnir80
hi all
i am a high school student(in ontario) going on to university next year.i'm planning on going into life sciences and eventually get into med school.
i'm stuck between the university of toronto and queen's university and was wondering if anyone can help me in my decision. I am hoping that i get into a university that will help me get into med school which obviously requires high grades.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you get accepted by both?

Both are good schools. The simple choice of school will not affect a medical school application, job application, grad school application etc. If the programs you're looking at are similar, then look at other things that may affect your performance such as living enviroment, extra-cirricular opportunities, etc.

go visit both schools then give the choice another look. Often you can rule out a school after visiting because you can't see yourself living there and enjoying yourself (which is very important)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university?

When choosing a university, it is important to consider factors such as the program offerings, location, cost, campus culture, and academic reputation. You should also think about your personal preferences and goals for your education.

2. How do I research different universities?

You can research universities by visiting their websites, attending college fairs, talking to current students or alumni, and reading reviews and rankings from reputable sources. It is also helpful to visit the campus in person to get a feel for the atmosphere and ask questions.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when choosing a university?

Some common mistakes to avoid when choosing a university include only considering prestigious or well-known schools, not considering the cost of tuition and living expenses, and not taking into account the specific program or department that you are interested in.

4. How important is the location of the university?

The location of the university can be a significant factor to consider, as it can impact your overall experience and opportunities. For example, a university in a big city may offer more internships and networking opportunities, while a university in a smaller town may have a closer-knit community and lower cost of living.

5. How can I make the best decision for my university choice?

To make the best decision for your university choice, it is important to thoroughly research and consider all of your options. Consider your academic and personal goals, visit the campus, talk to current students and alumni, and carefully weigh the pros and cons of each university. It can also be helpful to seek advice from a guidance counselor or trusted mentor.