Gravitation: Sphere is same as point mass?

In summary, gravitation states that the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that a spherical object and a point mass with the same mass will experience the same gravitational force, as long as they are the same distance apart from each other. This is because the mass of the objects is the only factor that affects the strength of the gravitational force, and the distance between them does not change regardless of their shape.
gamesguru
Newton's law of universal gravitation is only valid for point masses. Is it just chance that a person on the Earth experiences the same force of gravity that he would if he were on a shell of no mass and the same radius of Earth with a single point at the shell's center which had the mass of the earth?

Does anyone know of a proof that these two situations are equivalent? I've been trying to do it using spherical coordinates and I get stumped at,
[tex]g=2G \pi \delta \int _0^{\pi }\int _0^r\frac{\rho ^2\sin\phi \text{cos}\left\frac{\phi }{2}\right}{r^2+\rho ^2-2\rho r \text{cos}\phi }d\rho d\phi [/tex].
Where [itex]\delta[/itex] is the average density and [itex]r[/itex] is the radius.

If anyone is interested in how I got to this, I'd be happy to explain it. If the two listed situations are identical, then the double integral should be [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex].

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Feldoh said:
In that picture it is claimed that the distance between the test mass and every point on the shaded band dM is s. Either I'm not getting something, or that distance is different at every point along the band.

Your integral looks a bit strange. I'm not saying its wrong.

If you do it right you will get the result that anybody with a spherical mass distribution behaves gravitationally exactly like a point mass for any point outside the body. Newton proved this using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_theorem" .

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:
Your integral looks a bit strange. I'm not saying its wrong.

If you do it right you will get the result that anybody with a spherical mass distribution behaves gravitationally exactly like a point mass for any point outside the body. Newton proved this using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_theorem" .

2nd what D H says. if you are outside the sphere and consider the gravitational field vector (as a function of position relative to the center of the sphere), there is no reason (because of symmetry) to think that the direction of the field vector would be different in the two cases. so the direction of the field is the same. and Gauss's Theorem takes care of the magnitude between the two cases (again, for outside the sphere).

I uploaded the word document with all my work on it http://www.mediafire.com/?3nm93snmxgd" , look at that to see how I got to that integral. Btw, when I plug it into mathematica it gives me,
[tex]g=\frac{4}{15}G\delta\pi r(1+4\log4)[/tex].

If someone could look through my paper to see what I did wrong, that'd be great. I hate when I do something I feel is valid but get a different answer than the accepted answer. It's only 2 pages and most of the first isn't necessary to read. Thanks!

1. What is the difference between a sphere and a point mass in terms of gravitation?

A sphere is a three-dimensional object with a defined mass and radius, while a point mass is a theoretical concept that has no physical size or shape. In terms of gravitation, a sphere can produce a gravitational field due to its mass and shape, while a point mass is considered to have all its mass concentrated at a single point, making its gravitational field uniform in all directions.

2. How does the distance from a sphere or point mass affect the strength of the gravitational force?

The strength of the gravitational force depends on the distance between two objects and their masses. The closer an object is to a sphere or point mass, the stronger the gravitational force will be. However, for a point mass, the distance does not have as significant of an effect since its mass is concentrated at a single point.

3. Is the gravitational force the same for all points on the surface of a sphere?

No, the gravitational force is not the same for all points on the surface of a sphere. The gravitational force is strongest at the center of the sphere and decreases as you move towards the surface. This is because the mass of the sphere is concentrated towards the center, causing a stronger gravitational pull towards that point.

4. How does the mass of a sphere or point mass affect the strength of the gravitational force?

The strength of the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects involved. This means that the larger the mass of a sphere or point mass, the stronger its gravitational force will be. However, for a point mass, the mass is concentrated at a single point, so even a small point mass can have a strong gravitational force.

5. Can a sphere or point mass have a negative gravitational force?

No, a sphere or point mass cannot have a negative gravitational force. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force between two objects is always attractive and cannot be negative. However, the direction of the force may change depending on the relative positions of the objects.