Slight confusion about centripetal acceleration

In summary, the farther you are from the axis of rotation, the greater the centripetal acceleration according to the formula a_c = \omega^2 r. However, in circular motion, the centripetal acceleration decreases as the radius increases. This can be seen by noting that for a fixed angular velocity, increasing the radius results in an increased linear velocity and thus an increased centripetal acceleration. However, in circular orbital motion, the centripetal acceleration is proportional to 1/r^2 and thus decreases as r increases. It is important to note that angular velocity and linear velocity are not interchangeable in these situations.
ace123
I just read in my book that the farther you are from the axis of rotation the greater the centripetal acceleration. But when dealing with circular motion the centripetal acceleration decreases as you increase the radius. Am I missing something? Or did I just confuse 2 different things?

Thanks for the clarification.

Science news on Phys.org
ace123 said:
I just read in my book that the farther you are from the axis of rotation the greater the centripetal acceleration.
Could you quote the passage in question from the book and perhaps give us some idea of the context in which the comment was made?

Well the textbook just gave the centripetal acceleration =(omega^2)r. Then it says thus the centripetal acceleration is greater the farther you are from the axis of rotation. It then talks about a carousel. Is that enough?

If you're thinking of centripetal acceleration in terms of [itex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/itex] then you have to remember that v is also a function of r.

ace123 said:
Well the textbook just gave the centripetal acceleration =(omega^2)r. Then it says thus the centripetal acceleration is greater the farther you are from the axis of rotation. It then talks about a carousel. Is that enough?
Yes that is enough, thank you. The text is correct, but could perhaps be a little clearer by specifying that the angular velocity is fixed. For example, the quote could be re-written thus:

Given that the centripetal acceleration may be written as [itex]a_c = \omega^2 r[/itex], then for a fixed [itex]\omega[/itex], increasing the radius results in an increased centripetal acceleration.

In the case of the carousel, each point on the floor of the carousel has the same angular velocity (since the angular velocity is uniquely defined for a rigid body). Hence, the further you are from the centre of the carousel, the faster your linear velocity and the greater your centripetal acceleration. This can perhaps be seen more explicitly if you note that [itex]\omega = v r \Rightarrow v= \omega/r[/itex].

Does that make sense?

Edit: Kurdt beat me to it.

Ah I got it. I thought of angular velocity and linear velocity as interchangeable for some reason. Thanks for the help guys. And thanks for the help yesterday Hootenanny.

The other situation you might be thinking about is circular orbital motion. In the this case, centripetal acceleration is proportional to [itex]1/r^2[/itex], and thus decreases as [itex]r[/itex] increases.

As your book, Kurdt, and Hootenanny have stated, in the carousel case, centripetal acceleration is proportional to [itex]r[/itex], and thus increases as [itex]r[/itex] increases.

[EDIT]I see I'm wrong.[/EDIT]

ace123 said:
Thanks for the help guys. And thanks for the help yesterday Hootenanny.
A pleasure :smile:

Hootenanny said:
Yes that is enough, thank you. The text is correct, but could perhaps be a little clearer by specifying that the angular velocity is fixed. For example, the quote could be re-written thus:

Given that the centripetal acceleration may be written as [itex]a_c = \omega^2 r[/itex], then for a fixed [itex]\omega[/itex], increasing the radius results in an increased centripetal acceleration.

In the case of the carousel, each point on the floor of the carousel has the same angular velocity (since the angular velocity is uniquely defined for a rigid body). Hence, the further you are from the centre of the carousel, the faster your linear velocity and the greater your centripetal acceleration. This can perhaps be seen more explicitly if you note that [itex]\omega = v r \Rightarrow v= \omega/r[/itex].

Does that make sense?

Edit: Kurdt beat me to it.

Isn't v=r times omega. Not omega over r?

ace123 said:
Isn't v=r times omega. Not omega over r?
You are indeed correct, an embarrassing typo. I need to stop posting at 1am... :zzz:

Last edited:

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is determined by the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from regular acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is a special type of acceleration that occurs in circular motion. Regular acceleration refers to the change in an object's speed or direction, whereas centripetal acceleration only changes the direction of an object's velocity.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. Can centripetal acceleration change the speed of an object?

No, centripetal acceleration only changes the direction of an object's velocity, not its speed. However, it is possible for an object to experience both centripetal acceleration and regular acceleration at the same time, leading to a change in both speed and direction.

5. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are closely related. Centripetal force is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path, while centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that results from this force. They are both directed towards the center of the circle and their magnitudes are equal.