Uniform circular acceleration and direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a bird's motion in circular motion and asks for various values, such as the speed of the bird relative to the ground, the magnitude of acceleration, the direction of acceleration, and the angle between the bird's velocity vector and horizontal. The solution finds the speed to be 10.5 m/s, the acceleration to be 12.6 m/s^2, and the angle to be 13.3 degrees. The solution also explains how to find the direction of acceleration and the angle between the bird's velocity and horizontal.
anubis01

Homework Statement

Birds of prey rise up and down on thermals. A bird completes circle of radius 8m every 5s and rises vertically at a rate of 3.0 m/s. Assume uniform acceleration. Find

a)speed of bird relative to ground
b)magnitude of acceleration
c)direction of birds acceleration
d)angle between birds velocity vector and horizontal.

Homework Equations

ar=V^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the answer to a be 10.5 m/s, the answer to b is 12.6 m/s^2

c)at/ar=tan^-1(3/12.6)=13.3 degrees

d) I'm not sure how to proceed for this equation.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part c the bird is in uniform circular motion. The bird is rising at a rate of 3m/s is not an acceleration.

For part d you have the vertical component of velocity and the component tangent to the circular motion. Find the resultant.

Thanl you very much sir for the help and I finally got d :). HOwever I'm still a little bit confused about c. Centripetal acceleration has the same magnitude but varying direction so how am I supposed to find the direction of the birds acceleration above the horizontal.

C says nothing about direction above the horizontal, it merely asks for direction as you have typed it.

I see, thanks again.

What is uniform circular acceleration?

Uniform circular acceleration refers to the constant change in velocity of an object moving in a circular path. This means that the magnitude and direction of the object's velocity are constantly changing at the same rate.

How is uniform circular acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating uniform circular acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from the equation for centripetal force, F = ma = mv^2 /r.

What is the direction of uniform circular acceleration?

The direction of uniform circular acceleration is always towards the center of the circular path. This is because the object is constantly changing direction as it moves along the circular path, and the acceleration is responsible for this change in direction.

What are some real-life examples of uniform circular acceleration?

Some examples of uniform circular acceleration include the motion of a car around a curved track, the motion of a satellite orbiting the Earth, and the motion of a rollercoaster on a loop. These objects are all constantly changing direction while moving in a circular path, and therefore experience uniform circular acceleration.

How does uniform circular acceleration differ from linear acceleration?

Uniform circular acceleration differs from linear acceleration in that it involves a change in direction as well as a change in speed. In linear acceleration, the object only changes its speed while maintaining a constant direction. Additionally, uniform circular acceleration is always perpendicular to the object's velocity, while linear acceleration can be in any direction.