Is it normal in University Physics I and II courses to use mostly

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of algebra and basic calculus skills in computation, specifically in the context of physics courses. It is mentioned that most universities introduce concepts with calculus but mainly focus on simplification techniques using algebra. The speaker also mentions their current academic status and expresses concern about being prepared for their first physics course at a different university. The other person reassures them that it is standard for these courses to be taken concurrently with calculus and that more advanced mathematical tools are not typically used until later years. It is also noted that integration is not required for certain topics in physics at this level, but an understanding of the concept is necessary. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of having a strong foundation in algebra and basic calculus skills for success
Shackleford
algebra and basic calculus skills in computation? We haven't really used any heavy differentiation or integration, save basic differentiation or whatever. Of course, I guess most things that would require that are done by software. I'm just wondering if it's the norm at universities to introduce concepts with calculus but mainly concentrate on the simplification of those to algebraic techniques and so forth. I'm currently in my last semester at a reputable junior college before I transfer to UH. I just want to make sure I'm not completely lost in my first physics courses there, which will be Modern Physics. I've taken Cal I-III and am currently in Linear Algebra, although stupid Hurricane Ike messed our schedule up greatly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea its pretty much standard, as these courses are taken co-currently with calculus so professors don't assume you know calc that well. You really start using calculus in upper years. Right now you are defining elementary terms.

Well, you'll start to use most of those fancy mathematical tools such as DEs, vector calculus from your 2nd year onwards.

And anyway, 29b doesn't require any integration.

Defennder said:
And anyway, 29b doesn't require any integration.

Correct. In studying Gauss's Law and other E&M stuff at this level, you need to understand the concept of integration, but the examples and exercises are set up so that most integrals reduce to finding the volumes or surface areas of simple shapes like spheres or cylinders or rectangular solids, for which there are standard formulas. You don't actually have to "do" integrals in the sense of using the methods that they teach you in calculus courses.

jtbell said:
Correct. In studying Gauss's Law and other E&M stuff at this level, you need to understand the concept of integration, but the examples and exercises are set up so that most integrals reduce to finding the volumes or surface areas of simple shapes like spheres or cylinders or rectangular solids, for which there are standard formulas. You don't actually have to "do" integrals in the sense of using the methods that they teach you in calculus courses.

Yeah, I got that. Here, I'll just link to the problem thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1889248&posted=1#post1889248

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is it normal for University Physics I and II courses to use mostly calculus?

Yes, it is normal for University Physics I and II courses to use mostly calculus. Calculus is an essential tool for understanding and solving problems in physics, especially at the advanced level. Many concepts in physics, such as velocity, acceleration, and forces, are described using calculus equations.

2. Is it normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a heavy focus on problem-solving?

Yes, it is normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a heavy focus on problem-solving. Physics is a highly mathematical subject, and problem-solving is a crucial skill that students must develop to succeed in the course. By solving problems, students gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles in physics.

3. Is it normal for University Physics I and II courses to cover a wide range of topics?

Yes, it is normal for University Physics I and II courses to cover a wide range of topics. Physics is a vast subject that encompasses many different branches, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These courses aim to provide students with a broad overview of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the physical world.

4. Is it normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a strong emphasis on experimentation?

Yes, it is normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a strong emphasis on experimentation. Physics is an empirical science, meaning that it relies on experiments to test and verify theories and laws. In these courses, students will learn how to design and conduct experiments, analyze data, and draw conclusions based on their findings.

5. Is it normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a large amount of mathematical calculations?

Yes, it is normal for University Physics I and II courses to have a large amount of mathematical calculations. As mentioned earlier, physics is a highly mathematical subject, and calculations are necessary to solve problems and understand concepts. These courses will cover various mathematical techniques, such as algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, to help students apply them to physics problems.