Calculus III & Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses taking two classes, Calculus III and Differential Equations, concurrently and whether it is possible or not. The speaker also asks for opinions on taking a semester with multiple challenging classes. They mention that different schools have different prerequisites for these classes and seek advice from someone familiar with them. They also share their personal experience of taking Differential Equations before Calculus III and mention the importance of being familiar with derivatives, integrals, and multivariable functions. One speaker states that their school teaches basic linear algebra in Calculus II, while another mentions that linear algebra is a prerequisite for Differential Equations.
offtheleft
Can both of these classes be taken concurrently? I'm not sure but I think, at my community college, Calculus III is a prerequisite to Differential Equations but, a few friends from Rutgers and TCNJ have taken Differential Eq's before Calc 3. I guess it's different everywhere and I'm just curious if anyone on here thinks I may have been deceived or that taking both classes concurrently is a probability.

I'd also like to ask, in conjunction to my original question, would a semester containing: Calculus III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra and Analytic Physics, be too hard?

Physics news on Phys.org
offtheleft said:
I guess it's different everywhere

Yes, it can be, which means the best course is to ask the instructors or someone else in that department who is familiar with those courses, as they are taught there.

Calculus III and Linear Algebra would actually probably be quite interesting to take together.

I haven't taken Diff-EQ yet (Registered to take it this spring), nor have I taken Analytic Physics, so unfortunately I can't help you there.

I took Diff Eq before Calc 3 and did just fine. If you can do derivatives, integrals, and find the eigenvalues and determinant of a 2x2 matrix, then you're good for Diff Eq. They will probably start using multivariable functions without introducing them first, but if you're taking Calc 3 at the same time you'll be fine in that regard.

My school teaches basic linear algebra in Calc 2, so I learned how to find eigenvalues and determinants then. If linear algebra isn't a pre-req for Diff Eq at your school then I'm guessing that they'll teach you what you need to know in either Calc 3 or Diff Eq.

calc II is the prereq for linear algebra.

1. What is the difference between Calculus III and Differential Equations?

Calculus III is a course that builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I and II, focusing on multivariable calculus and vector calculus. Differential Equations, on the other hand, is a course that deals with the study of mathematical models and their behavior using differential equations. While both involve the use of calculus, Differential Equations is more focused on applications and real-world problem-solving.

2. What are some common applications of Calculus III and Differential Equations?

Calculus III is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where functions with multiple variables are involved. Differential Equations, on the other hand, has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, where mathematical models are used to describe the behavior of systems.

3. What topics are covered in Calculus III?

Some of the topics covered in Calculus III include multivariable functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and line and surface integrals. These topics are essential for understanding the behavior of functions with multiple variables and their applications in various fields.

4. What topics are covered in Differential Equations?

Differential Equations covers topics such as first-order differential equations, higher-order differential equations, systems of differential equations, and Laplace transforms. These topics are used to model and analyze various phenomena in the natural and social sciences, making it a crucial course for many students in different fields.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus III and Differential Equations?

Some tips for succeeding in these courses include practicing regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, breaking down problems into smaller steps, and understanding the applications of the concepts being learned. It is also essential to have a strong foundation in Calculus I and II before taking these courses.