Help in designing a simple transmission system for a wind turbine

In summary, the person is considering the idea of making a small scale wind turbine for their final year B.Tech project. They are facing a roadblock in maintaining the generator speed and are thinking of using parallel shafts coupled with a CVT. They are also open to other suggestions and are looking for a simple solution. They mention a site for learning about commercial wind turbines and suggest using a DC motor with integrated planetary gearhead directly connected to the turbine for optimal efficiency. They also suggest using a CVT or multi-stage transmission for higher wind speeds.
nmenon
I am considering the idea of making a small scale wind turbine for my final year B.Tech project. I have run into a roadblock, I have to maintain the generator at a relatively constant speed. I was thinking of 2 parallel shafts one from the Turbine blades coupled via a CVT to the shaft to the generator, esplecially when the blades spin slowly. I would like to know whether such a transmission is feasible . It has to be simple and need not be very accurate but it has to maintain the speed of the generator shaft. Other sugestions are welcome. An idea of how to go about it is enough.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you take a look at these new bicycles coming out that have a very small means of trans"missioning" the rpm's to torque you can see how easy the designs can be.
My God Its small
/me holds fingers together.
and It looks like it couldn't fit more than two Sprockets inside. well not very big sprockets anyway.

This is a great site for learning about how commercial wind turbines work:
http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/electric.htm [Broken]
I would recommend spending some hours reading on this site before deciding on how to build your turbine.
I think just hooking up a DC motor with and integrated planetary gearhead directly to your turbine (ok, maybe with a small rotary shaft coupling) should work pretty well. You just need to pick the motor and gears so that at the average (or median?) wind speed in your area causes the turbine to spin the motor/generator (when hooked up to it's load, car battery for example) near the peek efficiency of the motor. Using a CVT (or even a multi stage transmission) will just allow you to spend more time spinning your motor near it's peak efficiency. Also, i wouldn't worry too much about trying to optimize your generator's operating condition for low wind speeds because there isn't much energy there. I would use the variable gear ratio's for the higher wind speeds, which contain much more energy. Remember, the power a wind turbine can capture increases with the cube of the wind speed!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a transmission system in a wind turbine?

The transmission system in a wind turbine is responsible for converting the rotational energy of the blades into usable electrical energy. It allows the turbine to operate at optimal speeds and transfers the power generated to the electrical generator.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size and type of transmission system for my wind turbine?

The size and type of transmission system for a wind turbine will depend on the size and design of the turbine, as well as the intended use and location. It is important to consult with a qualified engineer to determine the best option for your specific project.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a transmission system for a wind turbine?

Some important factors to consider when designing a transmission system for a wind turbine include the wind speed and direction, the size and weight of the blades, the desired power output, and the efficiency of the gearbox. It is also important to consider the potential for future upgrades or maintenance.

4. Can I use a pre-designed transmission system for my wind turbine?

While pre-designed transmission systems may be available, it is always best to consult with an engineer to ensure that the system is suitable for your specific wind turbine project. A custom-designed transmission system may be necessary to meet the unique requirements of your turbine.

5. How can I ensure the reliability and longevity of my wind turbine's transmission system?

To ensure the reliability and longevity of your wind turbine's transmission system, it is important to use high-quality materials and components, regularly inspect and maintain the system, and follow recommended operating procedures. It is also important to monitor the system's performance and address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.