Given partials of a function, show the function does not exist

• Thread starter samspotting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the given conversation was about proving the non-existence of a function using first degree partials. The approach involved using partial integration and showing a contradiction when comparing the constant terms. The specific functions used were the definition of a gradient field and some given functions like F(x,y,z)=(xz,yz,xy). The conversation also included a clarification about the use of curls, div, and grads in an analysis class.
samspotting

Homework Statement

You are given the first degree partials of a function. You must prove the function does not exist

Homework Equations

General question

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate with respect to the variable for the partial derivaties, then equating them together as 3f(x) = g(x) + 3C but that gets me nowhere. Showing the partials are not continuous doesn't really help.Nevermind I got it. I integrated the partials with respect to each of their variables, the derived with respect to a fixed variable. Then I showed the contradiction by comparing the constant terms and showing extra variables exist.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
samspotting said:

Homework Statement

You are given the first degree partials of a function. You must prove the function does not exist
This is badly worded! How can you "have first degree partials of a function" that does not exist? It should be "show that two (or three) given functions of x, y (or of x, y, z) cannot be the partial derivatives of any function".

Homework Equations

General question

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to integrate with respect to the variable for the partial derivaties, then equating them together as 3f(x) = g(x) + 3C but that gets me nowhere. Showing the partials are not continuous doesn't really help.

Nevermind I got it. I integrated the partials with respect to each of their variables, the derived with respect to a fixed variable. Then I showed the contradiction by comparing the constant terms and showing extra variables exist.
It would have helped if you had told us the specific functions that purport to be partials. Also what do you mean "showing the partials are not continuous doesn't really help"? Were the partials continuous or not? If, in fact, the derivatives of the partials were continuous then you could look at the mixed second derivatives.

Ah sorry, I guess that was a terrible writeup, i think caused by lack of sleep.

The problem was that I was given the definition of a gradient field and a few functions like F(x,y,z)=(xz,yz,xy) and I had to show that it was not a gradient field. Thus I had to do partial integration. Though my prof did not cover it, and I think he wanted us to figure out what partial integration was. I looked online and saw that the constant term in a partial integral was a function of the variables you did not integrate over.

Im not sure what I meant by showing the partials are not continuous.

On the assignment all functions are well behaved unless at obvious points like |x| at 0 or stated.

samspotting said:
Ah sorry, I guess that was a terrible writeup, i think caused by lack of sleep.

The problem was that I was given the definition of a gradient field and a few functions like F(x,y,z)=(xz,yz,xy) and I had to show that it was not a gradient field. Thus I had to do partial integration. Though my prof did not cover it, and I think he wanted us to figure out what partial integration was. I looked online and saw that the constant term in a partial integral was a function of the variables you did not integrate over.

Why bother integrating at all? What is the curl of a gradient of any function?:wink:

Its an analysis class and we are going through the theorems in R^n of calculus, no vector calc besides some random homework question stuff.

Ive been hearing a lot about these curls, div and grads though.

In that case, perhaps an example will do you some good:

The vector function [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)=(\frac{-y}{x^2+y^2},\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},0)[/tex] has a non-zero curl (along the z-axis anyways), so it can't be a gradient field.

To show this through integration, you assume that it is a gradient field of some scalar [itex]U[/itex], then you know [tex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)=\vec{\nabla}(U)=(\partial_x U,\partial_y U, \partial_z U)[/tex]

[tex]\implies U=\int F_x(x,y,z) dx= -\arctan\left(\frac{x}{y}\right)+f(y,z)[/tex]

(Here, the constant of integration [itex]f(y,z)[/itex] need only be constant in x, it can still have y and z dependence)

[tex]U=\int F_y(x,y,z) dy= \arctan\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)+g(x,z)[/tex]

and

[tex]U=\int F_z(x,y,z) dz=h(x,y)[/tex]

must all be true simultaneously. And looking at the first two conditions, it should be clear that since [itex]\arctan(u)\neq-\arctan(1/u)[/itex], no single-valued function [itex]U(x,y,z)[/itex] can accomplish this.

(On a side note, if you stick to simply-connected regions that do not completely encircle the z-axis, or include it, a scalar potential [itex]U(x,y,z)=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/itex] will work, but as soon as you include any portion of the z-axis or encircle it completely, the scalar potential becomes multivalued)

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a function to not exist?

For a function to not exist means that there is no possible way to define a relationship between the input and output values. In other words, there is no rule or formula that can be used to generate the output values from the given input values.

2. How can partials of a function show that it does not exist?

Partials of a function refer to the derivatives of the function with respect to its variables. If the partial derivatives do not exist or are not continuous at a certain point, it indicates that the function is not differentiable at that point and therefore does not exist.

3. Can a function still exist even if its partials do not exist?

Yes, it is possible for a function to exist even if its partial derivatives do not exist. This is because the existence of partial derivatives is only one condition for a function to be differentiable. A function can still exist if it is not differentiable at certain points, but it may not be continuous or smooth.

4. Are there any other ways to show that a function does not exist?

Yes, there are other ways to show that a function does not exist. One way is to show that the function is not continuous at a certain point, as continuity is a necessary condition for a function to exist. Another way is to show that the function has a discontinuity, such as a jump or a vertical asymptote, at a certain point.

5. What are some real-world examples of functions that do not exist?

Functions that do not exist can be found in many real-world scenarios. For example, a function that represents the relationship between height and weight may not exist for individuals who have extremely low or high weights. Another example could be a function that represents the relationship between temperature and pressure, which may not exist at certain extreme temperatures. In both cases, the partial derivatives of the function would not exist, indicating that the function does not exist.