Why is the delta function not defined as a regular function?

• Thread starter electron2
  • Start date
In summary, the delta function is defined as the function that when evaluated at a point in space where its value is different than zero, will return the value of the function at that point.
electron2
why
[tex]
\int_{0^+}^{t} (x+1)\delta (x)dx=0
[/tex]

delta is defined that in 0 it is infinity
and on x differs 0 its value is 0

there heard of some formula
i am not sure if its the right form
[tex]
\int f(x)\delta (x)dx=f(0)
[/tex]

why i get 0
??

Physics news on Phys.org
I can make out what you're asking, I think, but in future please express yourself in clearer English.

The delta function is simply defined in the way you described, yes. It has the important property that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta (x)dx = 1[/tex]
, or rather, as long as the point x=0 is within the limits of integration, the result is 1, otherwise it is 0.

Thus looking at your second integral, as the integration is carried out from -infinity, the delta function is 0, except when the integral crosses the point x=0, where delta(x) = 1 and f(x) = f(0), thus the integral "picks out" the value of f(x) at x=0

No, the delta function is NOT defined by "in 0 it is infinity
and on x differs 0 its value is 0" since "infinity" is not an allowable value for functions and, in fact, the delta "function" is not really a function- it is a "distribution" or "functional" and is defined by the property you give: If a< 0< b, then
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\delta(x) dx= f(0)[/itex]
or, more generally, if a is in the set A then, for any function integrable on A,
[tex]\int_A f(x)\delta(x-a)dx= f(a)[/itex]
while, if a is not in the set,
[tex]\int_A f(x)\delta(x-a)dx= 0[/itex]

I suppose that [tex]0^+[/tex] means do the integral from [tex]a[/tex] to [tex]+\infty[/tex] with [tex]a>0[/tex], then take the limit as [tex]a[/tex] goes to [tex]0[/tex] from the right. Then your result is [tex]0[/tex], but the same thing with [tex]0^-[/tex] is [tex]1[/tex] .

Anyone have another guess what it means?

The limits of integration do not contain the x value where the delta function explodes. If this x value (exactly zero in this case) is not contained in the limits then the delta function is always zero, so the integral is always zero.

HallsofIvy said:
No, the delta function is NOT defined by "in 0 it is infinity
and on x differs 0 its value is 0" since "infinity" is not an allowable value for functions and, in fact, the delta "function" is not really a function- it is a "distribution" or "functional" and is defined by the property you give: If a< 0< b, then
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\delta(x) dx= f(0)[/itex]
or, more generally, if a is in the set A then, for any function integrable on A,
[tex]\int_A f(x)\delta(x-a)dx= f(a)[/itex]
while, if a is not in the set,
[tex]\int_A f(x)\delta(x-a)dx= 0[/itex]

i can't link your formulas with my interval

how to explainm interval in your terms?

1. Why did I get this particular result?

The result you received is based on the data and variables that were used in your experiment. It is the outcome of the specific combination of inputs and methods that were used.

2. Is my result accurate?

The accuracy of your result depends on the accuracy of your data, the reliability of your methods, and the precision of your measurements. It is important to double check your data and methods to ensure the accuracy of your result.

3. Can I trust my result?

The trustworthiness of your result depends on the validity of your experiment. This means that your experiment must be well-designed and controlled to eliminate any potential biases or confounding factors. It is also important to repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure the consistency of your result.

4. What factors might have influenced my result?

There are many factors that can influence the outcome of an experiment, including the quality of the data, the accuracy of the methods, and the potential for bias. Other external factors such as environmental conditions and human error can also impact the result.

5. How can I improve my result?

To improve your result, you can try using different variables or methods in your experiment. It is also important to carefully analyze your data and identify any potential errors or biases that may have affected the outcome. Additionally, seeking feedback and collaborating with other scientists can help improve the validity and accuracy of your result.