Is what katz say right for university jobs in engineering too?

In summary: It's important to have a diverse set of skills, and many people do end up finding jobs in the physical sciences. There are many avenues open to those of us who want to pursue a career in science.
gholamghar
hello
i was reading JONATHAN KATZ topic about not becoming a scientists here:

http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

what he says is just right about university jobs in math and physics or it is right for university jobs in engineering too?
i mean if someone gets his Phd degree in mechanical engineering and wants to go for university job he will have all the hardships Katz says?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gholamghar said:
hello
i was reading JONATHAN KATZ topic about not becoming a scientists here:

http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

what he says is just right about university jobs in math and physics or it is right for university jobs in engineering too?
i mean if someone gets his Phd degree in mechanical engineering and wants to go for university job he will have all the hardships Katz says?

thanks

Yeah, pretty much spot on. The advice I always give is: Get a good paying occupation first so that you can learn science later. If you don't have a good (high paying) job, you may not have the time and money later to finish learning what you love--so you'd have neither high pay nor the education you wanted. And a little extra money is nice for other things too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this link posted here before. This essay is based on a single professor's personal opinion, and there are many who disagree with him. He makes assertions such as: "there are hardly any industrial jobs in the physical sciences" without backing them up with any data.

There are truths in what he says. Academia is very competative. There is no guarantee that if you make it through graduate school that there will be a professorship waiting for you at the end. It's difficult to live on a typical post-doctoral salary.

However, I don't think the situation is that bleak.

1. Is there a high demand for engineering jobs in universities?

Yes, there is a high demand for engineering jobs in universities. As technology continues to advance and industries become more reliant on engineering, universities are in need of qualified individuals to teach and conduct research in various engineering fields.

2. How competitive is the job market for engineering positions in universities?

The job market for engineering positions in universities can be competitive, as there are often a limited number of positions available. However, having a strong educational background and experience in the field can increase your chances of securing a job in a university setting.

3. What qualifications are required for engineering jobs in universities?

Qualifications for engineering jobs in universities may vary depending on the specific position and institution. Generally, a minimum of a master's degree in engineering or a related field is required, along with teaching experience and research publications. Some universities may also require a PhD for certain positions.

4. Are engineering jobs in universities well-paid?

Engineering jobs in universities can be well-paid, but the salary may vary depending on the institution and the specific position. Generally, university jobs offer competitive salaries and benefits, and they may also provide opportunities for research funding and professional development.

5. Can engineering jobs in universities lead to other career opportunities?

Yes, engineering jobs in universities can lead to other career opportunities. Working in a university setting can provide valuable experience in teaching, research, and networking with other professionals in the field. This can open doors to other career opportunities, such as consulting, industry positions, or further academic pursuits.